Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe 10-17-17

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
https://youtu.be/nI63G77SOr4

doe.jpeg

I decided to sit in my hottest stand of the year, it overlooks a corn field, and has shown a lot of promise with a SW wind this year. The funny thing about it is that a SW wind has deer coming along the grass or potentially out of the corn directly down wind. Because of the grass lane and the cornfield, the deer are funneled into about 30 yds of me, before they head north along the woods or west through the woods. Now I know deer can come from any angle so I tried not to worry about the SW factor, especially when I had the most deer sightings from a SW wind. Not one deer this year has spooked when they were down wind of me. I was at work and debating on which woods to hunt, and once I saw a SW wind, I knew I was going to hunt this particular woods. I even text my wife and asked if she or my oldest daughter would like to go sit with me. She recommend the daughter but after considering my time frame and the fact that I would have to gather her gear up and I wasn’t even sure if I had washed it this past season, and coupled by the fact that she has heavy insulated hunting clothes and it was gonna be mid 60’s I figured she would have a heat stroke. Plus, I didn’t want to rush around and end up yelling at her because we needed to be out by a certain time, I wanted it to be a fun experience and not a negative one. I decided to go solo, a decision that I regret but this whole scenario could have played out different had she been with me. There is always next time, right? I was able to get myself into the stand by 4:00pm without bumping deer, last trip back I jumped a little buck and an unknown deer. It was a little warmer than I had expected but dressed on the light side just in case. I settled into my stand and relaxed as I took in nature moving around me. I kept scanning back and forth and thought to myself that I haven’t personally seen a deer exit the corn only come around the edge of it. I had plenty of night time pics of deer coming in and out of the corn, but never when on stand. It was just about 6 when I noticed without a sound a deer’s nose sticking out of the one lane that I have pics of deer using in the corn. Which just happens to be directly in the dead middle of the SW wind. She walked out and checked the wind and even looked my way but didn’t seem alarmed, she turn and began to feed on some corn, and then made her way from right to left and this whole time down wind of me. Using the cover of the trees, I readied myself and waited on her, I knew that she was going to enter my North lane and that is a 20yd shot. I had over cut that shooting lane and knew that I had to be ready, soon as she stepped into the lane she looks up and pins me, I was already ready, so I thought lol. I had forgot to flip the safety off, and in the video you can see the moment I pull the trigger and nothing happens, I flip the safety off as she is head bobbing trying to get a view of what’s in this tree?!? I remember thinking to myself, at this angle I have to be careful not to hit the shoulder, I pulled the trigger and the signature “whack” and off she ran. I watched her and remember thinking crap no blood on her side! I did my best to watch her until I couldn’t see her and then listened for any clues as to where she might end up. I had lost her NW of me but I also heard a deer blow directly west of me after I had lost track of her. Now, I decided to stay in my stand because I still had over an hour of hunting light left, for two reasons, one there could be a buck coming along any minute, and two to give her more time, as I became less confident in my shot placement. I made a few text to my dad and hunting buddy and explained my thoughts and what I should do. The plan was to wait till dark and have them drive back and help me track her. Once they arrived, I looked at my arrow and was pleased to find bright red blood, I felt the hit might have been a tad high, and I explained the path of her exit. So we began going that way, we got a few drops here and there, I started to get more nervous as we tracked, I knew she was dead somewhere, but also knew from the trace amounts of blood I had hit high. We got to one point where she veered off the path, lost blood and we all couldn’t think why she would come off the path of easiest travel. My buddy thought maybe she made a 90 degree turn and turns out he was right! We started to get larger amounts of blood, but not like I had hoped. We now where almost directly west of my stand, there was evidence of her stumbling! I look up and there she is! NOPE, a log with white fungus on it! My buddy and I were walking when we lost blood my dad stayed at the last blood, I said I lost blood. My dad then waited until we both were looking and says, “what about this deer!?” There she was 5 feet to our left in the dark! Almost exactly where I heard that deer blow after I lost visual of my deer on her run. I felt relieved because even thought it was 60 yds. I wasn’t confident of my shot, as I waited in my stand, I let doubt creep in my head. I was very nervous and started to think I had made a bad shot. But I was given clues as to where she might have went, and had I trusted what I saw, heard, and first thought. I would have found out all of those were spot on. There is one thing I seriously lack in my hunting skills and its confidence, but this is why I hunt. I love to learn new things each time, to share the experience with those close to you, and to have the opportunity to be out doors.

PS. After watching the film last night, I didn’t realize this but she sorta jumps the string, which causes the exit hole to be higher than the entrance! Which is why I wasn’t getting much of a blood trail, she was filling up as she ran. That is why I like to have an extra guy or two when tracking, 6 eyes, 6 ears, and 3 different minds, help when tracking gets tough.

Also, I wasn't making that much noise as the video makes it seem, that little camera picks up the slightest sounds!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice write up to an awesome hunt. Sounds like your learning from experience and enjoying your time afield and with those close to you. :smiley_clap:

Nice video TOO