Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anticipation of the hunt

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I have to admit, this is the first time in years that I've been this excited about an upcoming whitetail hunt.

Saturday is the first Letterkenny Army Depot hunt in the AMMO area. Last year two of my friends killed a 152 and 133 inch buck. One of my buds brother shot a 140 inch buck, and I saw a 140 class eight point being checked in. I gun hunted the AMMO area last year and saw a 130 class buck, but he was running and to far.

The AMMO storage area is probably 30K acres. Although there is a fence around it the deer have darn near the range of any free range whitetail. Letterkenny has a full time wildlife management team who has done and incredible job in managing the buck to doe ratio and planting quality food.

The results of their efforts really showed last year. I believe 15 or 20 record class bucks were killed off the base.

I have done my homework this year so hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to at least see a Letterkenny GIANT!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds a lot like Ravenna arsenal up here in NE Ohio.... Same situation.... Although EHD took its toll a few years back and its still rebounding...
Good luck Chuck...