Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back tension release question

rsmith

So any of you guys use or hunt with a back tension release? The more I read and watch podcasts and videos from people like John Dudley and Levi Morgan, the more I feel that shooting back tension is far more beneficial when done properly. Just looking some opinions on shooting it from people who do. Was looking at getting one with a wrist strap too so I don’t punch myself in the face until I get use to it then taking the strap off.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I switched to back tension prior to the start of last season and hunted with it last year. Once I went that way, I've never gone back to a caliper release.

It has made me a much better shot.

Took me a lot of practice to feel confident with it, but it was worth it in my opinion.

I suggest a lesson or 2 as there was a learning curve.

I've got 4 different releases now. Hunt with a Scott Longhorn Hunter.

Kempire

Back tension has for sure helped me get away from trigger punching and I would highly recommend to anyone. I have a carter evolution and carter wise choice 3 finger releases that feel pretty identical in the hand. I go back and forth when I practice to make sure I'm pulling through shots regardless what release i use. Basically i stick them both in my pocket and whichever i grab is what i use and it seems to help me be consistent with back tension even with a thumb trigger. I like hunting with the wise choice because I can clip it to my d loop and it's ready to rock whereas the Evo has a slight gap where it could fall off (never a good thing while in a stand).

With that said I see absolutely no issue with hunting with back tension because your shot execution should be the same regardless. As far as punching yourself in the face, something like the carter evolution has a saftey to keep it from going off until you are ready. If you punch yourself after that I think trigger punching might be lower on the list of concerns.

rsmith

I switched to back tension prior to the start of last season and hunted with it last year. Once I went that way, I've never gone back to a caliper release.

It has made me a much better shot.

Took me a lot of practice to feel confident with it, but it was worth it in my opinion.

I suggest a lesson or 2 as there was a learning curve.

I've got 4 different releases now. Hunt with a Scott Longhorn Hunter.

How do you like the longhorn hunter? I am looking between that and a truball ht3 with a wrist strap. I have a guy at a local bow shop that I was going to ask to help me once I get one because both him and the other guy that works there shoot back tension and have been for awhile and both shoot lights out. Just trying to figure out if I will really need the wrist strap or should I just buy one without it and save some more money and learn how to shoot without the strap to help draw.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I like the hunter. When I hunt I know i won't drop it! This said, I am not opposed to using any other that I own. 2, 3 or 4 finger. I shot them all, all summer long.

The wrist strap is simply the safety net. Otherwise I'd carry 2 with me.

rsmith

Gottcha, that makes sense, that would suck to drop your release but I honestly don’t think I would as I mostly hunt my ground blind and the path to it is nice and cleared and I have a chest pocket to put it in. I’m going to go to the bow shop Saturday and see what they have and shoot some stuff to see what works and feels best for me