Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer driving advice needed.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Land owner where I hunt is bitching that there is to many deer. He asked if he could get damage permits and I said yes. They only killed one doe cause they had no processor to butcher them.

So were planning on doing some deer drive during gun season. The problem is that were going to be driving 120 acres at one time. Starting at the back witch is a 1/4 mile by 1/2 mile wide chunk of woods. I realize that its going to take a lot of guys to do this. But I have no experience doing this large of a drive. We will be driving the deer towards a 40 acre field. Both side of the woods and the field is all wooded.

Any of you guys with experience with this large of a drive have any advice as to the best way to do this?

22279153_1461688473884572_69845075_o.jpg

The picture don't show the starting point of the drive but it shows the field that were hoping to get the deer to go into.

Attachments

• 22279153_1461688473884572_69845075_o.jpg
    22279153_1461688473884572_69845075_o.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 200

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My opinion, if he is complaining about too many deer, the solution is to harvest does early with bow hunters, not by one giant likely-unsuccessful deer drive during gun season.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
My opinion, if he is complaining about too many deer, the solution is to harvest does early with bow hunters, not by one giant likely-unsuccessful deer drive during gun season.

We only have permission to hunt the 80 acres for one day. For a deer drive. The 40 we are allowed to hunt all year but it is very hard to hunt. Cant even go over there in the morning without bumping deer. and they don't come onto our property till after dark most of the time. Even is we each killed 2 does it wouldn't make a dent. The owner has video of 46 doe over there at one time so 8 aint gonna make a difference. I have a trail camera over there with 20 doe in one picture.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
The beans he planted over there never made it to 12" tall. The deer ate the shit out of them. You can barley tell there is even beans in that field now.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
His thinking of a one day deer drive and harvesting a large number of running deer won't happen. Several deer will be taken and if the rule isn't put down to shoot does only a lot of the shooters will hold out for a buck and the harvest numbers just went down.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have a simple solution for the landowner who can't seem to figure this out. Open the 80 fuggin acres to hunting and he won't have this issue!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a simple solution for the landowner who can't seem to figure this out. Open the 80 fuggin acres to hunting and he won't have this issue!

That's what I wondering!?!? WTH!!! Lol

The LO shouldn't bitch if he's got that kind of stipulation. SMH

tracker 6

In a thicket
Build some shallow waterholes maybe get some ehd going. wow smfh Kill all these deer for me in one day cause I really don't want ya here.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Best advice I can give is try to convince your landowner to stop being a fuckwit.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
The people who own the 80 acres are older city folk. They don't allow any hunting. The land I hunt is owned by a neighboring farmer. You can all say what you want but just bow hunting it will not make a dent. 2 of the 3 fingers typically have deer laid up in them and we bump them on the way in. And then don't see anything till its to late. The land owner got the permission and asked me to join them so me and the others that hunt the place will be there along with some neighbors. So if you don't have advice on how to do this drive right then you need not reply.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The people who own the 80 acres are older city folk. They don't allow any hunting. The land I hunt is owned by a neighboring farmer. You can all say what you want but just bow hunting it will not make a dent. 2 of the 3 fingers typically have deer laid up in them and we bump them on the way in. And then don't see anything till its to late. The land owner got the permission and asked me to join them so me and the others that hunt the place will be there along with some neighbors. So if you don't have advice on how to do this drive right then you need not reply.
How do you figure 3-4 guys with a couple doe tags each won't put a bigger dent in the population than a deer drive?

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
How do you figure 3-4 guys with a couple doe tags each won't put a bigger dent in the population than a deer drive?

Did you look at the pictures? If you look we only have a few 2 acre fingers that were allowed to hunt there. We also have 140 acres across the street that has just as many does. I'm sorry we have so many deer to hunt. 2 of us hunting last weekend seen 45 does in one mornings hunt. On the other side of the street from where we want to do the drive. And either way. the farmer is gonna do it. They normally don't hunt. I just want to make him happy and try to help out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So here's what we know right.

1. You can't get in without bumping all the deer out.

2. You have one day to hunt.

3. 8 deer killed won't be enough.

Question. How many deer are you thinking is an acceptable number if everything went as planned? Would have to be 8+ right? I don't think I've ever seen a deer drive where 8 deer were killed. And I've been on 40+ man drives in the heyday 2007 population of Vinton county.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea I don't see how one SINGLE deer drive will make a dent in overpopulated property... I don't care how many guys and guns you line up. Do whatever you need to do make the landowner feel warm and fuzzy, but you're fooling yourself if you think a deer drive is going to be the silver bullet.