Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late Nov, early Dec

Bnew17

I will be hunting the weekend after Thanksgiving with a friend of mine on some private property in the Piqua/Sidney area. This will only be the second time i have ever hunted Ohio and ten years since the last time. When typically is your rut and what should i expect in that area during that time? Our rut in Middle Georgia is typically middle Nov. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
You should catch the tail end of the rut. We have seen alot of good deer on there feet the week of Thanksgiving. I'm usually not in the woods Thanksgiving weekend because our gun season opens that following Monday so we are usually getting ready for that. I'd say be ready to sit all day and hunt near a doe bedding area.

Bigcountry40

Can be a good time to hunt, a lot of small game hunters out thanksgiving through the weekend, so you could be pushed deer, I agree all day sit if you see rabbit hunters or dog dont be discouraged deer should be on the move

Bnew17

Thanks for the replies. Typically when is the peak rut for west/central Ohio? Looks like i will be there 11/30-12/3.

I've killed mature bucks the last two years during gun week that were with does and one last year bred the doe he was with multiple before I shot him. If you can hunt some private land that doesn't get hit hard with the deer drivers they will be acting normal and still breeding the last does in heat.

Bnew17

Just wanted to get some updated info. It looks like the weather is fairly warm up there? I sure hope it cools doen in 2 weeks! Rut is in full swing down here in South Ga. Does it looks like i will still catch the tail end of it?

Are estrous scents and rattling worth trying that late in rut?

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy and I killed bucks on Dec 3 and 4th last year. I watched his chase young does around from 500-600yds away and enter the woods close to his stand. Heard a boom. Climbed down and made the walk to see his 4-5yr old 150" buck. Next day I watched a 4yr old following a doe into bow range. Needless to say, it was a chip shot for the shotgun. Does which were not bred should be starting to come into estrous again as well as younger does which may be coming into estrous for the first time. Not saying it will be crazy rut behavior, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Bigcountry40

Just wanted to get some updated info. It looks like the weather is fairly warm up there? I sure hope it cools doen in 2 weeks! Rut is in full swing down here in South Ga. Does it looks like i will still catch the tail end of it?

Are estrous scents and rattling worth trying that late in rut?

I read a field and stream article a few years back about a guy outside of Cincy killing a giant using a grunt during the opening day of gun. The guy stated that he heard what he thought was a broken grunt tube/really bad grunt call of another hunter in the distance, but decided to grunt himself thinking what the hell. I guess big boy came screaming at him, end of story. IMO unless you are hunting a very isolated or big woods which I don't think south west/ western ohio has much of, I wouldnt worry about trying to hunt deer that are chasing, rutting, etc. Most deer after 9 a.m go into survival mode especially smaller woods surrounded by ag fields that are hammered throughout the week.