Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading with a Dillon 550

Buckrun

Here is a video I found on utube. I don't know who made it. He has a fancy handle on his. I use to original handle that came with mine. This is how easy it is to load after you have the powder dropper set right. I always stop after I load about 10 then again every 10 until I am satified that it is going to drop the correct powder charge. Then I just run till Im done.

[video=youtube;iach_P4LEFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iach_P4LEFA[/video]

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Thanks for the video. Trying to find a used Dillon now. Not much luck price wise. They are asking more than I can get a new one for. For doing rifle there is one less step because of no crimp, correct? Also when reloading with the progressive do you check for OAL and powder charges every once in a while? I was so paranoid while handloading I was checking all the above and total weight for each cartridge when I did it the first time.

Beentown

Buckrun

Once you get the seating die set checking overall length isn't necessary.

You can use a caliper to check length but if using lead pointed bullets it will very due to the points being a little banged up. It is best to get a bullet length guage that checks off of the bullet where it will contact the rifling. I haven't got one of those yet. and have been loading for years. You can get around it.

Also when seating bullets I will start the bullet then rotate the case and seat it a little more. I do this several times until it is fully seated and crimped. (If crimping)

Over the years I have really picked up a bunch of different things that are used by bench rest shooters. It would take a lot of time typing to go over it all.