Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ramcat broadheads

rsmith

I have done a little bit of testing with them last year when trying to find the best set for my deep six arrows before I sold them. They were amazingly accurate out to 70 yards and shot right with my field points. They seamed to leave a nice size cut in the foam and it was cool that the blades somewhat loosened by design when pulling the arrow back out to sweep the blades forward and cut its way back out as the blades were sharpened on the back as well. The blades were very sharp out of the package as well. The only problem I had with them was trying to be as delicate as possible with them in my quiver because unless you had the ramcat quiver you almost always bent the blade tips on them. They are very fragile and seamed to bend just looking at them. I don't know if they fixed this problem or not but this factor chose me to sell them and go with the swept blade QAD Exodus, which is in my opinion one of the best broadheads out there today. I would highly suggest looking into the swept blade Exodus if you are looking for a great broadhead. They Full and the Swept fly identical and you can interchange the swept blade and full blade on the same feral as well. Just make sure you buy the ones specifically for the regular or deep six as the blades locking system is slightly different.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have done a little bit of testing with them last year when trying to find the best set for my deep six arrows before I sold them. They were amazingly accurate out to 70 yards and shot right with my field points. They seamed to leave a nice size cut in the foam and it was cool that the blades somewhat loosened by design when pulling the arrow back out to sweep the blades forward and cut its way back out as the blades were sharpened on the back as well. The blades were very sharp out of the package as well. The only problem I had with them was trying to be as delicate as possible with them in my quiver because unless you had the ramcat quiver you almost always bent the blade tips on them. They are very fragile and seamed to bend just looking at them. I don't know if they fixed this problem or not but this factor chose me to sell them and go with the swept blade QAD Exodus, which is in my opinion one of the best broadheads out there today. I would highly suggest looking into the swept blade Exodus if you are looking for a great broadhead. They Full and the Swept fly identical and you can interchange the swept blade and full blade on the same feral as well. Just make sure you buy the ones specifically for the regular or deep six as the blades locking system is slightly different.
Just be careful with the swept blade as they could be considered a barbed head by pissy McGreen pants.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Is there a restriction in Ohio on barbed heads?
It appears as though I need to retract my statement. I know at one time there was, however I cannot locate it now so it must have changed. I can vividly remember debates concerning if rages were considered barbed since they did not flop back closed like a traditional mechanical. Perhaps ole rage did some lobbying.

rsmith

It appears as though I need to retract my statement. I know at one time there was, however I cannot locate it now so it must have changed. I can vividly remember debates concerning if rages were considered barbed since they did not flop back closed like a traditional mechanical. Perhaps ole rage did some lobbying.

It seams as though the rules are always changing. I know some states out west have regulations on barbed but I thought in Ohio you could use anything as long as it was not less than 3/4 inch cut and no explosive heads

nis1

I never personally shot a deer with them but I had a buddy that used them for a year and I was very impressed with the consistency and field tip like accuracy from them.

I never personally shot a deer with them but I had a buddy that used them for a year and I was very impressed with the consistency and field tip like accuracy from them.

I can second that. I switched over from shooting rage to ramcats last year. I am more than happy with their flight and consistency. I do know a couple guys who have shot deer with them and all were very happy with the exception of one guy who hit the opposite shoulder upon exit. He was unable to recover that buck, but I personally believe it wasn't because of the broadhead but shot placement. My only concern would be the durability of the blades as mentioned, but I never reuse broadheads after I harvest an animal. For me it isn't a huge deal if they're one and done but if you were worried about that I believe they offer replacement blades.

rsmith

I can second that. I switched over from shooting rage to ramcats last year. I am more than happy with their flight and consistency. I do know a couple guys who have shot deer with them and all were very happy with the exception of one guy who hit the opposite shoulder upon exit. He was unable to recover that buck, but I personally believe it wasn't because of the broadhead but shot placement. My only concern would be the durability of the blades as mentioned, but I never reuse broadheads after I harvest an animal. For me it isn't a huge deal if they're one and done but if you were worried about that I believe they offer replacement blades.

The problem I had with them was that I was worried if I was walking into the woods or even pulling my bow out of the case and hit he quiver wrong, which I have done with these, the blade tips curled over on the ones that were on the quiver. They were very fragile and I would highly suggest getting their quiver if you do decide to shoot them as they give enough clearance for the blades.