Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Penetration Differences with Blade Angles?

Would there be a penetration difference between a long ferrule vs a short ferrule design with both having the same cutting diameter?

An example would be a Razor Trick or Montec G5 in a short ferrule vs. a Steel Force in 2 or 4 blade or a NAP Hell Razor.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Absolutely. The slicing action of the longer blade angle will cut with lesse required energy than the steeper one thats being pushed more than sliding. Think about when using a dull knife on meat and pushing down vs sliding, chop vs cut. While the broadhead isn't dull like the knife the same principal applies. A blade that is sliding will cut deeper than one being pushed. My opinion anyway. Milo will be along shortly, he's the man when it comes to this subject.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
IMG_3565.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
penetration is the name of the game, assuming you want two holes in a deer. with a 42lb recurve you are shooting the minimum. I don't care how "fast" it is, you really should shoot a razor sharp two blade cut on contact broad head that is not too wide (like Zwickey Eskimo or the smaller Magnus heads) you can only wring so much energy out of 42lbs, and you are going to need every bit of it. using a three blade head of any sort with your set up is a bad idea, imo. and you gotta put it where it needs to be. 42lbs will do the job if you shoot them in the ribcage. if you hit larger bones, you will have a problem. I sure hope your finished arrows are at least 400+ grains. would hate for you to bounce an arrow off of large deer.