Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Educational Traditional Bow Shooting Video!

Jamie

Ohio
it absolutely does put additional stress on the lower limb, but with glass bows it won't cause them any harm. shooting a bow this way that is not designed for it causes it to be out of balance.

this is not the best method of aiming for hunting. the last thing I want to think about when I'm about to ventilate a deer is where my fingers belong on the string. or any other aspect of shooting my bow as this is a terrible distraction at the moment of truth when you should be focused on nothing but where the arrow is going.

Diablo54

Outside
I tried this for a few weeks. It was okay. But can shoot better instinctive. I like the idea of it for hunting. Because it forces you to pick a spot. Sometimes shooting instinctive it is easy to just stare at the whole deer and let it fly.

Jamie

Ohio
I don't place much stock in the notion of "instinctive shooting" as we tend to use the term loosely and mostly in error . I'd say for 99% of us it is more exactly "intuitive gap shooting". yes, I would claim that we are all "gap" shooters whether we realize it or not. with enough proper practice, muscle memory and a repeatable sight picture permit the act of shooting to become somewhat of an unconscious act at close ranges, say under 25 yards whereby we point and shoot, letting our brain and muscle memory do the rest. there have been times shooting at deer that I do not recall drawing my bow, only seeing the arrow fly because I was so focused on the target while waiting for the right instant to shoot. it's always pretty easy to shoot at the whole deer unless you have a sight pin, and I would argue that failing to pick a spot is the cause of most misses or poor hits while taking reasonable shots at close range.

disclaimer: I am not a shooting coach or even an accomplished target archer. this is just my humble opinion based on my experience shooting and hunting big game with classical archery equipment for the last 30+ years.

I shot my new Fleetwood Knight recurve, today, using this "fixed crawl" method of aiming/shooting. I was totally amazed at the accuracy that I could achieve, out to 25 yards AND this is the first time I've shot this bow at these distances. I could never attain this kind of consistent accuracy with my traditional bows, in past years...especially in such a short time frame. At 20 yards, I can hit a 2" target dot, 5 out of 6 arrows...and the 6th arrow will be at the edge of one of the dots. I am impressed with this method of shooting.
recurve 3.jpg
recurve 2.jpg

Good hunting, Bowhunter57