Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow setup dialed in

rsmith

Well guys, since March I have been researching and testing new setups and have finally found one that works perfect for me and is tuned to a T. My bow is a 2014 Elite E35 set at 56lbs with a 29 inch draw. The bow is amazing to shoot in my opinion. It is dead in the hand and holds rock solid on the back wall. Once I found the bow it was trying to find a new release. I tried a lot and found the tru fire hardcore maxx fine tuned with a lighter trigger was best for me. With the swept trigger I am able to really get a good position on my finger to use back tension and set the release off perfect every time. For the arrows, those took about a solid week and a half of searching but with the help of Jeff at Great Lakes outdoor supply and archers advantage online shaft calculator I came up with Easton Hexx 330 with a 75g brass insert, 100g field point, 4 inch blazer wraps with 3 fletch helical blazer vanes cut at 29 inches was the perfect setup for my bow. I chose the QAD HDX rest because for me it is what works best for my particular set up but I have been researching more about the trophy take smackdown pro rest as I want something limb driven and easier to fix if something happened in the woods or at camp. I found a 10 inch fuse carbon torch stabilizer out front worked best for me with no back bar as well. IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Then came the hard part, broadhead choosing. I went through the same thing last year as some of you may remember me complaining about a 6 inch group at 60 yards with broadheads. I know that seems crazy to complain about but I wasn't satisfied with the results so I kept testing until I found something that shot dead on with my field points. Well this year with the new setup I found that the Muzzy trocars flew identical to my fieldpoints and I am able to put 3 arrows with broadheads either on or touching a normal size sticky note at 60 yards with this set up consistently. This I am satisfied with as I know that at 30 and 20 yards I should have little to no deviation from my fieldpoints. Which after testing I found was true. I know that where I hunt now I won't take a shot past 36 yards, but at my friends camp there are a couple stands that are about 200 yards wide and if the opportunity presents itself and the situation is 200% right I would take the shot at 60 yards knowing that as long as that deer didn't move I will hit my mark. Everyone has there own effecting range but I practice out to 110 yards a couple times a week and have been for about a 2 years now and am pretty confident with my shoot. Here is a picture of my first group yesterday with my setup at 60 yards
IMG_0721.jpg

I'm not trying to brag or boast just going to show that when you find a set up that works FOR YOU and is tuned properly that it truly does help beyond belief. Comparing to the video I took last year of me shooting a 5 inch group at 70 this is night and day difference and am confident to say I'm ready for deer season.

rsmith

Good deal! I shoot the trocars and love em. The really do fly just like my field points. Good luck this year

Thank you, you too! And they really do fly great, I shot them at 100 no problems of them dropping off or anything. The blades do come a little loose after 8-10 passes in the foam but just tighten them back down and good to go [emoji106]

Jake_C

Nice shooting! I think you're spot with the tuned bow statement. It makes all the difference in the world out past 40 yards and even past 20 with fixed blade heads.
I figured out how to tune the bowtech, now I need to figure out these elites so I don't have to rely on a shop.
Good luck this season