Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Generator Question

Qback5

Looking to learn more about camping on just the battery (no electrical plug-ins) for extended periods of time, at least a week. Thinking that 2 solid deep cell batteries will work well. Just need to run lights, water pump, propane heater (electric fan). How do you recharge the batteries when they die? Any generator suggestions? Seems like the best (Honda) is very expensive. Recommendations?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought a Champion dual fuel generator. 3400w. $1200. Just under actually. Quiet as the Honda. More watts. Not $2000. 5cent has some Champion generators and likes them. Has had great experience with customer service when needed.

I liked the dual fuel option because I can run off 20 or 30 gal propane tanks if gas not available.

I just bought a Champion dual fuel generator. 3400w. $1200. Just under actually. Quiet as the Honda. More watts. Not $2000. 5cent has some Champion generators and likes them. Has had great experience with customer service when needed.

I liked the dual fuel option because I can run off 20 or 30 gal propane tanks if gas not available.

I have a 2000W Champion Inverter and it has served me well. I think I got it on sale for $400 or so on a good sale. If I need to replace one day I will probably buy the duel fuel genny.

I built my cabin using this generator. Ran a table saw, cutoff saw, circular saw off of it. Only 1 at a time of course. A few times the overload safety kicked on when a saw would bind, but it worked really well. I even ran a small air conditioner on it for our camper.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
If only running low amperage/watts (no AC), then that 2000w will be enough. Pick up some 6v golf cart batteries from rural king (they are around 200 Amp Hours) and are much cheaper than Trojans or other high end 6V batteries.

Check the make/model of your converter in the camper and research it. It is most likely a WFCO or something similar that has a "smart charging" mode. If you leave your camper plugged in at home and are not boiling batteries then you do. They are nice in that aspect but won't switch to full open mode and provide enough voltage to charge the batteries in short order (think running genny all day). You can then decide to swap that out for a different/better converter or get 100-200w of solar panels and keep them charged in between genny runs.

Rv.net is your best friend, enough reading on that forum for your eyes to bleed!

Hunter II

Our cabin is set up with 2 deep cycle batteries and a solar charger. The lights are all 12 volt and we have a 12v water pump that we use for kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet, and shower. We haven't had any issues with 2 people staying at the cabin for up to 10 days straight.

Qback5

All super helpful. 10 days...that's great work! For the next calendar year, just need up to 1 week. But in 3 years, we will need 2 week stretches, over and over and over again...