Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Difference between aluminum and carbon crossbow bolts?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What's the pros and cons of aluminum vs carbon crossbow bolts? Which is better?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This is my own opinion. Aluminum is cheaper on the wallet. But aluminum will bend eventually just shooting targets. You will get to refletch very few aluminum arrows after shooting at game. I once chucked an aluminum arrow in a cordless drill, ran on 1/3 speed and looked down the shaft. It was bent and had been only target use. (It rolled on the table OK also). I then checked like 27 arrows and found out we only had 6 good ones. Carbon on the other hand is good to go as long as it does not splinter or break. I have carbon arrows that were refletched like 3 and 4 times. Braydon shot 3 deer with the same carbon shaft and muzzy broadhead. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. But then again, I drink beer so what do I know.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This is my own opinion. Aluminum is cheaper on the wallet. But aluminum will bend eventually just shooting targets. You will get to refletch very few aluminum arrows after shooting at game. I once chucked an aluminum arrow in a cordless drill, ran on 1/3 speed and looked down the shaft. It was bent and had been only target use. (It rolled on the table OK also). I then checked like 27 arrows and found out we only had 6 good ones. Carbon on the other hand is good to go as long as it does not splinter or break. I have carbon arrows that were refletched like 3 and 4 times. Braydon shot 3 deer with the same carbon shaft and muzzy broadhead. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. But then again, I drink beer so what do I know.

Rick hit the nail on the head, I've used both and have gone thru way more aluminum then I have carbon.... I too have shot numerous deer with the same bolt...