Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's Trail Cam Pics: 2017 Edition

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hard to believe it's almost September and I am just now dedicating a thread to my cam pics. There were several summers where I had 10K pics a week rolling in and that made sure my trail cam threads were anything but boring! A decade ago, I started my saga with Deuce. He not only exemplified the genetic potential around our farm, but also demonstrated what happens when 3 year old bucks with potential live to see 4. Deuce was a trend setter and over there years, more bucks followed his tradition of establishing a storyline on our farm. First there was Mr. Clean, Porky, Mr. Crabs and Deuce. Then came Moe, Boss and Captain Jack all in the same year, followed by the Broke Brow 10, Daryl Dawkins and Wilson. All with distinct characteristics. Moe and Daryl blew up much like Deuce from 3 to 4, but Captain Jack never amounted to much more than a story that spanned 4 years and apparently, still doesn't have a conclusion. Actually, it appears many of these storylines may not stop with the death of the initiator…

This is my 12th year of running cams on our 80 acres and it has by far, been my worst for getting pictures of deer, let alone good bucks. That changed with one SD card yesterday. I'm not sure if it was the super-secret concoction I placed in front of the camera, the cool weather, the lush clover and alfalfa plot in the background or a combo of all of the above, but yesterday was easily one of my "coolest" ever card pulls. Very clearly there are established genetic traits in our local herd and I feel fortunate to have been able to chronicle some of those traits. With any luck, my grandkids will be doing the same on this farm when I am long and gone!

Boss in 2010, now Jefe in 2017.

Boss.jpg

Jefe.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

Jefe with another buck with previously observed genetics...

IMG_0350.jpg

Meet Dozer and Dozer II, father and son I'd assume...

Dozer II.jpg

Dozer.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Captain Jack and quite clearly, another one of his many offspring. Going to call this one Jimmy Jack in honor of Jack and a current inside joke with my daughter!

Young Jack.jpg

Jimmy Jack.jpg

This is Woodrow. Very clearly he is a brother to Wilson, who was shot last year by the neighbors.

Woodrow Wilson.jpg

Lastly, the original "Mr. Clean" from 2006. He was the original "clean 8" and here is another one that fits the bill.

Mr. Clean.jpg

Clean 8.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And to the two legends themselves, Deuce when he started the trend and Captain Jack in his prime…

Deuce 2007.jpg

[video=youtube;W12IPCQgirk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W12IPCQgirk[/video]

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks for the support fellas. If nothing else, it should be an interesting fall. Looking forward to those cool mornings and seeing the woods come alive!

I believe that 80 acres is haunted. You chase more ghosts than anyone I've ever ran across. Good luck this season.

We tore down the old shed where a family member of the former owner hung himself. I used to get dressed for my hunts in that shed and it was always spooky. Who knows, maybe he didn't like hunting! [emoji16]

We all have "shoulda, coulda, woulda" trophy walls from our past. Mine certainly houses a cast of characters. I suppose that's better than not having any good stories to tell! Shoot, this is just about the bucks from our farm. I've been hunting my behind my parent's house since 1999 and running cams there since 2004. Very similar story regarding genetic commonalities there too.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I've been using trailcams for a long time....used to have those huge 6 volt batteries with alligator clips and used 35mm film...no sd cards back then....and I have never used the camera in video mode. After seeing your video, you just convinced me to do it. I'll make sure that I place it near a scrape and nowhere near a bait pile, for fear of having the sd card fill up too quick. Thanks for sharing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang good pull today after a few stagnant weeks. Several adult does on the farm, a good crop of fawns and up-and-comer young bucks to match. I haven't checked one of my cams since putting it out back in early August and it had a few stories to tell. The best one was the culprit who broke my mock scrape tree and forced me to make a new one. Right now, this is the best version of a shooter I have on cam at this time.

[video=youtube;mU612ILrsSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU612ILrsSg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Also pulled a couple cool pics of some young bucks locking up for over 10 minutes in the new oat plot.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

I had to laugh at this one. Not sure if this deer knew it or not, but that's an 8' cliff it just jumped off! lmao

IMG_0013.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool video of that nice buck tearing up that licking branch! Another JVS site?

Lmao on that last one too! Ever miss a step while descending a flight of stairs or ladder or presume one is there when you're already on the ground or floor?!?! Imagine he might be at that moment....lmao