Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New (to me) Recurve

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's been a long time coming. Shooting Brian and Ron's recurves at the Mingo gathering lit a fire inside me to shoot a traditional bow that I couldn't ignore any longer. A few weeks ago I stumbled on a Craigslist ad that just seemed like fate. I was already heading east that day and just happened to find a guy selling a used Black Widow less than 10 minutes out of my way. This is a Black Widow PSA V, with a 55# draw weight at 28" factory draw length and 62" overall length. A couple days ago I outfitted it with a new string and silencers. My draw board shows that it actually hits 55 pounds at 28.5" draw... Close enough.

I finally have a tab and a dedicated set of arrows so I can now practice the way I need to. This was my first 3-shot group at 30 yards this afternoon. I'm no traditional Zen master by any means, yet, but I'll take it!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good deal Jim welcome to the club[emoji2]
That is sharp looking bow,hope it serves you well over the years and you have alot of fun shooting it.
Just challenge yourself and change things up,shoot at some tennis balls or just pick out small tufts of grass or a leaf as long as ya have some judo's on.
If ya can get up in a treestand and practice also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal Jim welcome to the club[emoji2]
That is sharp looking bow,hope it serves you well over the years and you have alot of fun shooting it.
Just challenge yourself and change things up,shoot at some tennis balls or just pick out small tufts of grass or a leaf as long as ya have some judo's on.
If ya can get up in a treestand and practice also.
I'm definitely going to get a tube of tennis balls next time I'm at the store! I love these judo points... I was shooting at leaves and walnuts in the yard today. I've already picked out a tree next to the house to hang a stand in! Lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks good! Where did you get the string ?Really matches the wood on the bow.
Got it directly from Black Widow actually. Flemish twist. I think it was only like $21.

Here's a couple more pics. Don't mind the towels on the floor... My dog is in heat again. Lol

Cool purchase Jim. Like Jamie said it is a slippery slope. Next you'll make a string jig. Someone will convince you to join the OSTA. Then you will start building and cresting arrows. One day you will decide you want to make a custom arm gaurd so you'll get into leather working. While you are at a OSTA shoot someone will convince you to try to make your own bow. So you should really box up that widow amd send it to me just to save yourself.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good for you Jim! Sharp bow and a great start. 3 arrahs hitting the target for the first 3 is a great start in my mind. Love to see you tag a deer with it in the near future.