Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home made elk target.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I have been wanting to do this for a while. A life size target is out of my price range so o made my own out of insulation foam, liquid nails, scrap wood, and a few cans of spray paint.

The only bad thing about targets made from this type of foam is you'll get reside on your arrows from the friction. It cleans off easily with some thinner though. That said I noticed yesterday this hasn't been a problem yet, but the arrows are a Beatch to put out.

elk target finished.jpg

elk target.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Chuck are you shooting this Target with your compound or trad bow? How's the stopping power of the target? I wonder if the arrows would pull easier if you used the great stuff foam as you're adhesive instead of liquid nails.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Chuck are you shooting this Target with your compound or trad bow? How's the stopping power of the target? I wonder if the arrows would pull easier if you used the great stuff foam as you're adhesive instead of liquid nails.

Mostly my compound, but I have shot my recurve into it. The recurve wasn't as bad pulling out, but was still stiff. I've been told to put wax on the arrows and that'll make it easier. I don't think the liquid nails is having that much of a negative effect. I think it has more to do with the friction from the arrow going through the target. I started getting some residue on my arrows last night, but it's not to bad.

One thing for sure though. There is a BIG difference shooting at a life-size target vise a smaller 3D target (at least IMO). I think having it close to life-size helps in distance judging when I don't have quick access to my range finder.

I have also found that my comfort range is much further than I thought it would be. I doubt I'd ever shoot further that 55 or 60 at a live elk, but it's much easier than I thought it would be.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mostly my compound, but I have shot my recurve into it. The recurve wasn't as bad pulling out, but was still stiff. I've been told to put wax on the arrows and that'll make it easier. I don't think the liquid nails is having that much of a negative effect. I think it has more to do with the friction from the arrow going through the target. I started getting some residue on my arrows last night, but it's not to bad.

One thing for sure though. There is a BIG difference shooting at a life-size target vise a smaller 3D target (at least IMO). I think having it close to life-size helps in distance judging when I don't have quick access to my range finder.

I have also found that my comfort range is much further than I thought it would be. I doubt I'd ever shoot further that 55 or 60 at a live elk, but it's much easier than I thought it would be.
Makes perfect sense to me. I've always thought I've shot better at life size targets than particular spots on 3-D or bag targets. It just seems like I get less target panic when I have a "zone" to shoot at instead of a spot. Seems counterintuitive but my groups are generally better as a result.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I seen on another forum to wax your arrows for easier pulling out. Either wax, plain old mineral oil, or cooking veggie oil.