Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Survivors

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Camera has been out since October. Finally pulled it. Card was full batteries still had 18%. Last pic was April 20th. Learned a lot from the long soak. Had several bucks holding until mid march. Had a couple bucks that I was glad TOO see made it through the season.

Bigcountry40

You have a lot of faith in your camera to leave them out that long, my luck would be a tree or a branch would knock it down after 3 days

Bigcountry40

But from my understanding it actually much better to leave them out to long than to become addicted to checking them every 2 days and become a camera hunter like so many people do

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
You also live in Iowa with a fewer population of people. I just don't see the point in checking cams weekly during the summer.

Very true there are fewer people out here. Along with huge, vast open agriculture fields that don't see a soul for the entire spring and summer. Lots of room for the deer to go hide in them and their fence-lines/drainage ditches if they are bothered by us being 'constantly there' (and we are....). But yet they are there! Should be worse for us in reality if you think it is based only on intrusion.
And yea I agree there is really no point to check them in the summer, other than being obsessed with what might be there and watching them grow.
A deer will not vacate their core area because they smell someone. They are gonna smell someone wherever they go. Especially in higher human densities.
We have sort of subscribed to the theory that they get used to us and our smells all year long, so aren't as freaked when season comes. Rather just a normal day to them then....