Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dumb, Dangerous or Stupid?

While groundhog hunting last Saturday I lost my carbon arrow and broadhead. I was going to buy some aluminum arrows so I could find them easier with my metal detector. Instead I decided to put a piece of metal coat hanger the length of the arrow shaft inside the carbon arrow. It makes the arrow heavier, but is this a bad idea that could be dangerous. I have not shot this arrow yet but plan to try it out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dick. You could cut long aluminum strips from a can and insert them in the bolt. Much lighter and if your detector is like mine it has no problem finding aluminum cans. Lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The arrow has deflection to it, this may hinder the energy transfer from string too bolt and make it do catastrophic things.... I wouldn't chance it buddy....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't take the chance shooting an arrow with a dang coat hanger inside it. Just buy an aluminum arrow or two if you're afraid of losing them. Geez they're only 5 or 10 bucks a piece!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I knew you guys would have an answer. The cost of bolts is not an issue. I just thought it might be an interesting experiment. My thought was kinda like J spoke of. The arrow may not flex as it should. I guess I'll skip the experiment and play it safe.

Good call....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I knew you guys would have an answer. The cost of bolts is not an issue. I just thought it might be an interesting experiment. My thought was kinda like J spoke of. The arrow may not flex as it should. I guess I'll skip the experiment and play it safe.
If you cut a couple strips of an aluminum can about 5 inches long and wide as a pencil that should be safe and not cause issues with flex or weight. Even better if you can put a slight curl to it so it doesn't want to crinkle in the shaft.