Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jacks...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
What happened?
On the way home from Mingo I noticed the truck pulling right while driving and left to stop. Put on new pads and still did it. Had a sticky piston on the caliper.

Was replacing it and I heard a couple clicks, radio was blaring. Noticed my jack stand tilted a bit....the jack had failed. Kept going down after a bit.

Would have came down with me under the wheel well. Coulda been a bad day.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Maybe not the best quality but do you have a Harbor Freight anywhere near you?

My son and I have been using the Harbor Freight jacks for years. No problems.

Why would the jack fail if you had the truck on jack stands? Or was the jack just setting there and went down?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ALWAYS....... ALWAYS...... ALWAYS lower the weight of the vehicle onto the jackstands!!!!! This is the reason why!!!!!!!

Glad you're ok Charles.... Kids need you around brother.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I had to have the weight on the jack a bit just for clearance to get the tires on/off. Couldn't jack higher to move the stands up one more spot (even being blocked).

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
More than likely the truck would just be sitting on one sides rotor but I am still thankful. This jack is going in the scrap pile.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I keep a spare hyd jack in the bed at all times... Always good too have it, never know when you'll need it and I like the quickness of it vs the stock jack supplied by the manufacturer....
Don't remember the actual brand, bit works great for tire changes on the road both vehicle and trailers....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
IMG_9635.JPG

And you thought you were having a bad day....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a couple Harbor Freight 3ton jacks. They have been so so. Returned one and they replaced it because it twisted. I harp constantly to the guys to use jack stands. I use them.