Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back to Work

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
About 6 weeks ago I got the go ahead to start working again. So I applied and was hired into Whirlpool Coorporation, making dishwashers. First of all, it feels amazing earning a paycheck again instead of looking in the mailbox for a disability check, although I'm taking a paycut:smiley_depressive:. In 20 years since high school, I worked at Ponderosa for a few years, then concrete product manufacturing, then the grain elevator. So this is my first factory job. It's a big adjustment, especially 2nd shift, it sucks. Once I got all my jobs down, it's actually a great place to be. It's all air conditioned, and clean as hell. And it's fun just bullshitting with people all day long. I've made a couple observations on people:

Women: for the most part, they are fucking terrible to work with. They hate any other women who is in power, any other women who looks better, the bitch constantly about their job, and they have tiny damn bladders that require 5 bathroom breaks on an 8 hour shift.

Millenials: They have no clue what real work is. They have no desire to excel at their job or help others out. Just a me first approach. No ability to have rational conversation with opposing views. And most of them are fugging nerds who think its fun to play with fidget spinners and cubes

Bigcountry40

About 6 weeks ago I got the go ahead to start working again. So I applied and was hired into Whirlpool Coorporation, making dishwashers. First of all, it feels amazing earning a paycheck again instead of looking in the mailbox for a disability check, although I'm taking a paycut:smiley_depressive:. In 20 years since high school, I worked at Ponderosa for a few years, then concrete product manufacturing, then the grain elevator. So this is my first factory job. It's a big adjustment, especially 2nd shift, it sucks. Once I got all my jobs down, it's actually a great place to be. It's all air conditioned, and clean as hell. And it's fun just bullshitting with people all day long. I've made a couple observations on people:

Women: for the most part, they are fucking terrible to work with. They hate any other women who is in power, any other women who looks better, the bitch constantly about their job, and they have tiny damn bladders that require 5 bathroom breaks on an 8 hour shift.

Millenials: They have no clue what real work is. They have no desire to excel at their job or help others out. Just a me first approach. No ability to have rational conversation with opposing views. And most of them are fugging nerds who think its fun to play with fidget spinners and cubes

Possibly post of the year, what whirlpool plant you working for? Glad your back to work.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Glad to hear you are back at it. You are right, 2nd shift sucks, working with women REALLY sucks. I cant stand those types of millenials. I would say all millenials, but we have few around this site that don't seem too bad. LOL

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to the real world. It's a shame you had to find out the hard way. Hang in there as your good work habits will change of few of the younger workers. NOT.

Wmiller07

As a millennial, yes in general we suck lol. I've worked with lots of women over the years and can only think of a handful that were really cool.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great update and post Ryan. Hope your health continues to improve. Hope your coworkers follow your example. You're a good schtick.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Possibly post of the year, what whirlpool plant you working for? Glad your back to work.

I'm at the Findlay dishwasher plant. Working currently in the new "West Wing" as they call it. I gotta say, It's pretty nice in the whole factory though. I messed up though. I applied through a temp agency, and 2 days later found out they were starting to do direct hires. So after my first two weeks, I went to their job fair on a Saturday to apply as a Forklift/material handler since I have 12 years forklift experience and certificates. They informed me I have to put in 400 hours with the temps before they can "poach" me so to speak and move me there. They did give me an interview, which I excelled at, and told me to make sure before I get my hours in, to take a saturday and go through their certification. So for now I'm making $3.00 less per hour than a direct hire, and I didn't get 2 weeks vacation and a week sick time right off the start like they do. But I was happy when I first got the job, so I'm not too worried about it

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
2nd shift is not conducive to glassing bean fields in the evenings....
Glad your back at it though Ryan. I will take care of Tera while your at work.:smiley_bril:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We have/had many family members that work/worked for Whirlpool. My Dad was an engineer/line designer/maintenance for them for 35 years. My sister currently heads "paint" at the Marion plant. My two nephews, brother in law, and others also work at the Marion location.

Learn your shit, practice for the maintenance test then move on up.

Maintenance tech makes a good living. ($65k'ish)

Good luck!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
We have/had many family members that work/worked for Whirlpool. My Dad was an engineer/line designer/maintenance for them for 35 years. My sister currently heads "paint" at the Marion plant. My two nephews, brother in law, and others also work at the Marion location.

Learn your shit, practice for the maintenance test then move on up.

Maintenance tech makes a good living. ($65k'ish)

Good luck!

I've already had my group lead and area coordinator tell me that too once they found out my work background. They have a pretty good training program there for anyone who wants to do it. I just have to get through the temp service and get officially hired as a whirlpool employee. The temp service doesnt give 2 fucks what your skills are. As long as you dont have a heroine needle sticking out of your arm, you're an assembler to them. I understand the numbers game from their end. Just bad timing on my part. I'll get there, no doubt

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congratulations Ryan, good for you man! Definitely get into maintenance as you can use your learned skills for around the house as well. I wish I did it when I started working for the USPS, it's a much more secure job as well these days!