Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rifle Scope Question

Calvin

Hello folks,

I have a question and didn't want to hijack the recent rifles thread. Why do at least some of you guys recommend spending $1000+ on a rifle scope for hunting? There still lot of rifle scope available below $500 and they have good review too. I'm pretty curious and don't see the any need but would like to hear your reasoning. Thanks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just like everything in life you're going to have those that do it on a budget, and those that only want the best. Plenty of good scopes can be had for under $400 depending on the application.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Some shooters like the best for themselves and I guess bragging rights. I myself buy the best required for the rifle it's going on.
I have a PD shooting friend who would have a $1000 custom AR built up for PD shooting and put a $39 cheap scope on it and didn't understand why he couldn't see much past 150-200 yds.
Just buy what's is best required for the rifle and move on.

I really dont get people that buy or build really high end guns then put cheap glass on top. You can get some really nice glass for 300 to 500 dollars for a hunting rifle. If you are buying a scope for a target rifle. Id just buy once cry once and get the nice glass because you will buy it later. Once you go go over 500 bucks you are typically paying for country of orgin, features, small quality refinements and in some causes durability. For example I have a leupold mk 4 4-14x44 (1200 plus) and a vortex viper pst 4-14x44 (550 on sale). Glass and retical are the same quality. The big differances are the mk4 weights alot less than the pst. The paralax adjustment on the mk4 is much better than the pst. The turrets on the mk4 are more user friendly.

Last edited:

Houseofmoto

NE Ohio
Good glass makes a huge difference, hence better glass = more money.

I notice a huge difference between cheaper optics and more expensive when you get to 200+ yards.

Figure out what you need your optic to do, then look at your budget and shop accordingly.

Try to look thru a lot of different brands in the field. It's amazing the difference in the field vs the store or the 100 yard range.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Where you hunting and what your hunting dictate how much you should spend on a scope. I have a beat up simmons 3X-9X that cost $5 at s gsrsge sale on a Daisy Powerline pellet gun. Works great on backyard pests. Squirrel hunting deserves $30 3X-9X, Tasco, Simmons or cheap Bushnell.
For all around Ohio deer hunting, find a 1.5X-4X Bushnell Banner from the 1960'searly 70's that you can find for $30-40 at a gun show. You can slap that scope on a 12 gauge, 20ga, most muzzleloaders, even crossbows and lever action Marlins.
Long range yotes and ground hogs, depends on how accurate and expensive your rifle is. An $800 and up bolt gun deserves a Leupold, Burris, older Redfield.
Pistols, spend the bucks to handle rifle cartridges in a Contender or Encore.
If your going out west, shooting 500 yards at elk, take a 340 Weatherby with real quality glass.

If your heading for Dall Sheep in Alaska or Blue Sheep or Ibex in the Himalayas, take a loan out on your house.