Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage Axis. I'm Impressed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Travis got a 22-250 Savage Axis rifle for Christmas from his dad. While i would never say ot to him, to be honest my first impression was that it seemed cheaply made with the synthetic stock. Bolt seemed good and the trigger was OK. But for the price paid it was an ok entry level rifle.

He finally got around to shooting it yesterday and to say I'm impressed with its accuracy would be an understatement.

I took it back to 200 yards and shot it in the prone position off a rest. Shooting Federal American Eagle Varmint 50gr JHP on a three shot string she held a 1 inch group. That's 1/2 MOA. Needless to say I was pretty impressed with the gun. While overall fit and finish may be lacking to get the rifle down below the $300 mark they did not cut corners with accuracy. Nice to see a company that can cut corners where it doesn't matter and still produce something that can hold its own compared to much more expensive rifles when it comes to accuracy. 20170704_210634.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice! I've never cared about a gun being pretty. But it is usually the case that to get a good shooter, you'll pay for the pretty finish too.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Typical savage... No beauty queen but still a lights out shooter. That's good stuff. Hell of a group from 200 yds. I bet Travis is happy with it!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have the Edge in 22-250. Same thing. Ford didn't like sharing the name with one of their vehicles or something and Savage changed to Axis. Mine is a real nice shooter. Stainless barrel. No accutrigger. Does his have the accutrigger?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have the Edge in 22-250. Same thing. Ford didn't like sharing the name with one of their vehicles or something and Savage changed to Axis. Mine is a real nice shooter. Stainless barrel. No accutrigger. Does his have the accutrigger?
No accutrigger, still not a bad trigger though, I've pulled worse.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Savage is one of the easiest to get to shot accurate out of the box. When Savage brought out the Model 110 solid receiver single shot I bought a SS plastic stock 223. Had the receiver glass bedded and froze the barreled action.
It shot 5 shots into one hole at 100 yds off rest. Then I got in accurate AR's and sold it to my friend. My gunsmith friend later told me 'you can't sell rifles that shoot that accurate'. My friend still has the rifle and still brags about the accuracy.
Still have a old Savage in 223 that I bought 25 yrs ago for less than $75. We take it along on PD hunts as a backup rifle. Everyone who shoots it wants to buy the old piece of junk because it shoots to well. Wood stock looks like a poor piece of 2x4. Not for sale.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
for an affordable rifle it's hard to beat savage for accuracy. Not sure what their secret is. Many believe it's the tension of the barrel nut, not unlike ARs.