Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Took the girls fishing today

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
The girls have been bugging me constantly to take them fishing this summer. So yesterday I took the brush hog along the edge of the pond on the back of the farm in preparation for today.
Now this is a shallow pond that floods over if the river gets really high, so of course has fish in it. But is pretty much just a mucky, mossy mess. In all the 20+ years I have had access to this farm I have never fished it. Never known anyone else to either. The girls are still pretty much learning to fish, and a pond with lots of moss on it is not the best place to learn to cast. All in all we had a good time though. I was pretty sure we would catch a bunch of small stuff, and we did, but actually did end up catching about a dozen 7 to 8 inch gills and a bass about a foot long. So guess what we are having for dinner???

A few pics of the fun:

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

Just your guys opinion, how do you handle these yellow grubs in the meat? Google says you can just cook them right up, but I always touch the knife to the meat where they are and pop them out.

IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg