Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Handicap accessible vehicles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow. They are proud of these things. I am shopping. We are not to the point with my Dad where we need one yet, but I have been eyeballing them. We are optimistic he will progress to the point he can get out of the rehab facility. When he does he will likely not be 100% yet and we will need a way to get him around.

Seems there are 3 markets for these: trashed with 200,000+ miles (think airport shuttle bus or hotel bus), 15-20yrs old with low to middle miles (50-150,000) for $10-15,000, or under 10yrs old for $25,000 and up.

Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work. There is good money in fleecing the handicapped. (Sarcasm of course.)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My neighbor is handicapped and in a wheelchair. His van has the side lift the front swivel seat and hand controls for driving. The van itself was 30000 with another 20,000 in modifications. So yeah you start out with a $50,000 vehicle it's still going to be pretty expensive at 10 years old.

One of the reasons for this is the modifications are subsidized by the government. I think the federal and state government paid for 15000 of the modifications. Anytime you have the government subsidizing something the business is going to run the price up They even paid the vast majority of his bathroom remodel so he could have a roll-in shower. He works for the County Board of mental retardation.

Buckmaster

Portage
Its all an overpriced scam Phil. My FIL had one while my mother in law was still alive. He paid $30k for it used.....10 months later, my MIL died...he turned it back in for $8k credit and had to make payments on the balance for 5 years until payoff.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I may start scouting for some of these. If I can find one for a reasonable price I would have no issues flipping it for a fair finders fee. Cover my costs. Make a few hundred for the leg work. Save the end user thousands. Sometimes it isn't about making money. It is about helping people out. One needs to cover their costs and time checking out vehicles, picking them up, etc. That doesn't mean buying a vehicle for $5k and selling for $20k. There are handicap accessible vehicles to be found in a fair range. They simply are not sold where the average purchaser shops.