Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frame repairs

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As if I don't have enough going on, I bought a "new" daily driver for myself. I have two kids with their temps. It looks like I am giving up my 2005 Honda Element for the kids when the time is right. I picked up a 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 with a cap. It has 95k miles. Original owner passed away. His wife wouldn't sell it right away. It sat around a few years. Then the second owner bought it. He has owned it almost four years. He listed it to sell it and a guy pointed out rust on the frame issues. He took it to Toyota but they are no longer doing frame repairs on this year of Toyota. My guess is the original owner's widow tossed the recall notices for the factory repairs. Fast forward to now: Guy relisted it accordingly and in need of frame repairs. I couldn't pass up the price and I'm not afraid of getting dirty. I just ordered some repair parts from a company called Safe T Caps. I will take some pics in the daylight and post the before photos. Going to be interesting and fun in my opinion. Just need to do a little more homework prior to doing the welding. I know you have to weld at lower temps than other forms of welding. Just need to see if my welder is capable of doing such. Wish me luck.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If I'm not mistaken mfg. recalls are passed owner to owner. Go on line and check on recalls. Notify Toyota of year and model with serial number and it should be OK if it's a safety recall. I've done it with Ford and was a salvage wreck car. Dealer parts dept. mgr. said no way on salvage title. Made him call Detroit and it was full coverage on recall bill.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I'm not mistaken mfg. recalls are passed owner to owner. Go on line and check on recalls. Notify Toyota of year and model with serial number and it should be OK if it's a safety recall. I've done it with Ford and was a salvage wreck car. Dealer parts dept. mgr. said no way on salvage title. Made him call Detroit and it was full coverage on recall bill.

I've considered this as well. Wondering if I pushed hard enough if they would handle it? It is worth looking into. Worst they can say is "NO." Or maybe they allow it and I have to return the parts I ordered. Well worth it anyway I see it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've considered this as well. Wondering if I pushed hard enough if they would handle it? It is worth looking into. Worst they can say is "NO." Or maybe they allow it and I have to return the parts I ordered. Well worth it anyway I see it.

All recalls are listed on line. Check on line before contacting dealer as they don't really know what's going on with later trucks.

Buckmaster

Portage
A buddy of mine just received a new frame under his last fall. He paid nothing but he was the original owner.

Call Toyota with the serial number. They'll offer you some direction.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Were you happy with the quality? Do they appear sturdy enough? If I liked them on the Toyota (assuming factory doesn't help me out) I have some spots on a Jeep to repair.

Buckmaster

Portage
It's a shame we live in Ohio and have to buy vehicles every 5 years. The prime is SE CA where they are still driving 1962's on a daily basis. Wish I owned a few of those gems.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Passenger frame.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Drivers side frame. Two pics then the underbody. Nothing on underside other than some brackets or linkage pieces has some rust.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Back in the 60's the impalas and bel Aires had Swiss cheese for frames as well... Had a 66 that was in great condition for a 10 year old car but the frame was mostly gone from wheel well too wheel well....

Buckmaster

Portage
Back in the 60's the impalas and bel Aires had Swiss cheese for frames as well... Had a 66 that was in great condition for a 10 year old car but the frame was mostly gone from wheel well too wheel well....

Bad Ohio.

Clean cars are still found on Southwest roads and junk yards. It amazes me what I see come up on my car forums in terms of clean SW cars and trucks....desert climate.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bad Ohio.

Clean cars are still found on Southwest roads and junk yards. It amazes me what I see come up on my car forums in terms of clean SW cars and trucks....desert climate.

No kidding, I bought the car for 350 and drove it for a year, it had the 2 speed slip and slide powerglide in it with a 230 or 250 6cyl can't remember now what size it was but the thing ran great, good gas mileage for a boat of a car but the damn frame just rotted out from under it... Back then to fix it was more then the value of the car so when it broke off too the crusher it went....

I boing from the original owners who had that vinyl bubble wrap installed as seat cover.... interior was like brand new lol....

Buckmaster

Portage
Ohio salt is bad. The brine.....even worse. I took care of my 2001 Chevy S10, washed it weekly. I got 10 years out of it but the body rust was terrible at 130K miles. I ended up trading it for a lawn mower and I still had to shell out $ 1500 cash for the mower on top of my truck......only in Ohio.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My son bought a 04 Z71 in Pa and it's down in SC with him, only vehicle I've seen with SC license plates with rust holes in it.... He was involved in an accident that a 16 year old girl tboned him, dealership wouldn't release the vehicle too him due to rusty brake lines lol... I called and read the riot act too them and had them write up a release and Ryan to sign it knowing it had rust on the brake lines... 2500 to replace all the brake lines lol....

Just 1 More

Were you happy with the quality? Do they appear sturdy enough? If I liked them on the Toyota (assuming factory doesn't help me out) I have some spots on a Jeep to repair.

Very happy with the quality, fitment was excellent, very sturdy .. definitely a great product