Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1898 Mauser rifles converted to 22LR Trainers

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The past 16-17 yrs I've researched and collected 22 caliber Military Trainers. Mainly USA but now have branched out to German 1898 Mauser conversion.

After WW11 Israeli as a new nation needed any type of rifle for defense. To train a lot of non shooting members of the new Military they converted a lot of 1898 Mauser 8MM rifles to 22LR. It was a cost cutting reason and to train men and women who had never shot a rifle before to train with a non recoiling 22LR but built on the same size rifles.

I bought #4 today and looking at #5 now. If I get #5 I would have 5 converted 1898 Mauser rifles converted for Israeli and 1 special contract Mauser 1898 Model 1952 solid frame action special built for Belgium Army and Navy. I'm missing the special built 1952 made for Israeli but I have a friend who has one and someday I hope to obtain his rifle. Couple years ago I passed on the same model made for South Africa and kick myself now for passing. I was still in the learning stage then but through research I'm getting more knowledge on the subject now.
Pictures when I get the rifle.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pretty cool man. The only downsized trainer I have experience with is the AT4 shoulder fired anti tank rocket trainer that fired a 9mm high viz tracer matched to the rockets trajectory. Fun as shit to shoot and watch ark towards an old tank at 300 meters, although rather anticlimactic when it just pinged off the hull. It was a complete shoulder fired launcher with a 9mm insert.

For as long as I live I will never forget the first time I live fired a real one. Although the weapon is "recoilles" that does not mean you are not unleashing the fury of hell 2 inches from the side of your head. It's like being in the middle of an explosion and then realizing you're actually still alive.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
AT4 trainers were a good time. I remember the first time I shot one. Was anticipating the whoooosh sound of the AT4 not thinking about it being a trainer. It was definitely fun to plink targets.

I only got to shoot the real deal once. It was definitely a rush.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The nazi germans made tons of .22 mausers before and during the war.

But history shows the German Military used almost none for training their soldiers. Most if not all was par-military or youth groups and gun associations.

I've specialized in USA 22 caliber Trainers which was about 40 different models. I have all except 2 models of which there was less than 100 of each model.

Having done that I started on 1898 Mauser Military Trainer conversions to 22LR. Also have a Anschutz 54K which was a 1952 German National Police Trainer styled after the 1898 Mauser the Germans was still using. Also have a German 1888 Calvary 22LR Military Trainer model of unknown origin.

Very good investments if bought right and complete.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Geez when it rains it pours. I haven't been able to find a correct 1898 Mauser converted 22 LR Military Trainer in 2 years. This week I found 3 different correct rifles. Got one already going after the other 2.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Geez when it rains it pours. I haven't been able to find a correct 1898 Mauser converted 22 LR Military Trainer in 2 years. This week I found 3 different correct rifles. Got one already going after the other 2.

Only bought the one as the other 2 went for a stupid amount of money. Both probably 2 times what they were worth. Someone needed them worse than me to add to their collection.
I passed on another because I already had that model. But for the right money I would have bought for the overall investment. Put my max bid in and was out bid then the good investment was gone.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Today I added another 1898 Mauser type 22LR rifle to my collection. Now have 6 different 1898 mauser converted 22LR rifles.
This new one is a FN 1952 solid receiver made the same time as my 1952 Belgian Army-Navy rifle which was 1 of 1000 made.
This rifle was made by FN for Israel and also is 1 of 1000 made.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll have the 6 1898 Mauser converted to 22LR rifles on Display Only at the Lima, OH gunshow the 1st weekend of November. Stop by and say HI and may even let you handle them.