Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Carpn Jr tagged out

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I haven't been around much for awhile but I wanted to share this with some of my friends on here . At the tail end of turkey season last yr I found myself wishing I would have prepared my son to Turkey hunt . He was only 6 then but I felt that given the right support he could pull it off. Fast forward to this season and I was trying to prepare him . We shot the 22 alot just to get him used to handling a gun . A few weeks before the season I had him shoot the 20 gauge a few times and he shot well . During youth season he missed a bird on Sunday which really bummed him out . We had a moment where he cried ( give him a break , he is 7 after all) and I comforted him and explained although he didn't kill the bird , he got to experience all the stuff that makes turkey hunting great .
Fast forward to the first Saturday of regular season , and we are set up where I'd been watching some Jake's all week . I'd passed them up several times , and had high hopes they'd read the script .
At 645 my son killed his first turkey . It really was a proud moment . For both of us .

Turkey season progresses and I kill a couple birds . We are approaching this past weekend and I continued scouting before work and Fri bought him his 2nd tag . Saturday found us in pursuit of bird number 2 . We saw several but nothing wanted to work . We relocated for Sunday morning and at 630 he killed his 2nd turkey and first longbeard .

It really is awesome to get to share something I love so much with him. And I never would have dreamed he'd kill 2 . What a awesome experience and one I hope everyone with children gets to experience .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't believe how fast that kid is growing up. I'm happy as hell for you man. That's got to be a really special feeling... One I look forward to experiencing myself someday.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrats to you both! First bird EVER and all that excitement at 7 years old....young man is supposed to cry. (He ain't allowed to say what we would) :smiley_coolpeace:

wv67

Awesome job dad , for taking him and teaching him , and awesome job and congrats to the little man for taking two

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Thanks everyone . I debated about even posting since I hadn't posted in awhile . But knew some of you all would appreciate his success , and it may prompt someone to get a youngster out . I'd always planned on waiting till he was 10, but turkey hunting is great for kids . I had to modify my normal strategy to suit him , but everything worked out well .

huntn2

Hudson, OH
That's fantastic! Congrats to you both.

I had debated on letting my son try this year at 7 and am making him wait till next year.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
That's fantastic! Congrats to you both.

I had debated on letting my son try this year at 7 and am making him wait till next year.

It was amazing to see what he learned in a few hunts . The first bird he missed he was trying to aim too well I think . I had probably over stated waiting till you were lined up good . His last bird he shot walking as I started to tell him to shoot . Every kid is different , but I was surprised how well he did . A blind and a shooting stick definitely help alot . I hate blinds like no other , but for a kid it really helps alot .

huntn2

Hudson, OH
No doubt. I have a blind that is still in he packaging waiting till I put him in the position. I take him and his younger sister with me, just didn't put him behind the 20g yet. Can't wait to celebrate and build the memories with him as you have this year.