Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Zachs First Turkey

angelzd28

Ill try to keep this short, as I already posted on my team thread. But yesterday I shot my first turkey at the age of 31. Growing up my dad would take me out turkey hunting and Ill be honest, I never really took to it like he did. I was always way more into hunting deerz and rabbits, but last year I bought a tag and went out with him determined to tag one. Well last year it didn't happen, so fast forward to Monday and I got out for the first time this year and got skunked. So yesterday my wife wanted me to take a vacation day and I decided to roll out of bed and give it another go. I got to my dads at 545 a lil late, and got of the truck only to see hens fly down and heard a gobble not 40 yds from my truck. So I sat down and tried to call him in with no luck, silence. After about 15 minutes I walked up the ridge and headed the other direction calling with my mouth call every 100yds or so to see if I could get a response. About 300yds later I hear a loud gobble back in the direction I was, so I turned back around and raced down the 4 wheeler path to pin point their location. I got to the flat above them and set my hen decoy out and sat down and called again. This time when he gobbled he was right below me not 40 yards from me but down the steep bank on another flat. A few minutes later 2 Toms come up over the crest, but they milled behind a big ass thorn bush for what seemed like an eternity. They couldn't see me or the decoy and I couldn't get a shot. A rough 3 minutes later the bigger of the 2 toms finally got impatient and started to come around and I let my 870 super magnum belch out and watched him flop down the bank! I can say at 31 its never to late to get hooked on something. Ill definitely be out again looking for that fix!

20170509_071740.jpg
20170509_072359.jpg
20170509_090044.jpg