Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some advice

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im going on a turkey hunt for Veterans this weekend. Im taking my Mossberg 535. I need thoughts on which shells I should be using. Im sure this has already been discussed, I just haven't been able to find it. Thanks

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
We are supposed to be able to shoot once we get there to make sure our guns are good to go as far as pattern goes. Im interested to see how mine does with the scope I mounted.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Try the Winchester longbeard XR's, but make sure you shoot it before you go on the hunt.
Yeah no shit. I didnt shoot them out of traviss 870 before hunting because he wouldn't be shooting past 30 yards. Inside 30 yards patterns don't really matter, its only out at 40, 50, 60 yards does it really start to matter. He missed a bird at 30 yards in youth season. We went back to the house and shot his gun and it was a foot and a half high. He only had like 8 pellets on the paper plate at 30. Knowing it was him i shot his gun. Same shit. 1.5 foot high. Put a rem nitro turkey in and he blasted it. Thus was a 3 inch number 5 XR. The 3.5 #4 are deadly as hell out of my gun far outperforming the heavi blend i used to shoot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hevi shot. Buy a box of ten and it'll last you several years. Turkey loads are not something that's worth skimping on IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If your hunt is up this way give me a shout. I have a decent selection you can try and a place to shoot them. You might need some card board or something to shoot at though. Gosh I hope the hunt is not in this area. We simply do not have a ton of turkeys.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If your hunt is up this way give me a shout. I have a decent selection you can try and a place to shoot them. You might need some card board or something to shoot at though. Gosh I hope the hunt is not in this area. We simply do not have a ton of turkeys.
Butler and Fayette I believe, at least that's what I remember seeing on their Facebook page.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Its in Blanchester Ohio. Thanks for the offer Phil, but this hunt is only about an hour from me, right near Giles.