Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kaylas bird

Diablo54

Outside
Opening morning I took Kayla behind the house. We worked 2 birds for about a half hour and I finally got them to break and come in. They only came to about thirty yards and peeked over the hill at us. Leaving Kay with about 3 seconds to pull the trigger. It wasn't enough time for her to get on them. And they slowly walked back to there hens. After that morning she spent several mornings in the woods with me to no avail. Yesterday morning at 9:30 a bird gobbled across the holler from the house. We hopped on the fourhweeler and cut the distance in half. As soon as we got ready to sit down something caught my eye. It was the damn dog! He wasn't inside the house when we left and he always follows the fourhweeler. I handed Kay a decoy and a slate call and told her to call soft while I took the dog home. When I got back she said he answered her first yelps and the second time she called he had cut the distance in half. He ended up coming in to about 40 yards and hanging up. Then eventually walking away.

Last night looking at the forecast I decided we had better go to the blind if we wanted to hunt. At 5 am we where both up and ready. We got to "turkey hill" and made the climb up the mountain. I set the decoy up about 20 yards from the blind on a high spot in the field. Once we got settled in I realized that we where not going to be able to hear anything because of the gas wells hit and miss engine blaring away in the same field. I decided to tough it out and called every once in awhile out the blind window. About 30 minutes in and sure enough a bird was strutting about 100 yards away on the dirt trail coming up the field. Then another strutter. And eventually 2 hens. I made a call and could see him gobble at me but could not hear it. If that makes any sense. The boss hen finally saw the decoy and it was on. She came up to the decoy in full strut. She beat the crap out of it. All the while the main tom was just over the little hill we where on. Finally he came up over and Kay stuck the barrel through the mesh. She didn't waste much time. And folded him up. Was an awesome hunt.

Diablo54

Outside
IMG_4975.jpg