Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

That Favorite Diaphragm Call

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Ever have a go to favorite mouth call that they quit making or gets hard to find? I do.
My go to favorite Diaphragm call has been the Lohman Double Reed #820!!!!
So today I did a little google search at work and found a few so I did what any die hard would do and bought not just 1, but 10 of the over priced dang things!!mischeif.gif
Yep I figured why spend more on trying some different brands when I can pick up some of what I really like.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good stuff Aaron!
I would do the same if mine were hard to find,only mouth call i have used for years is the Primo's True Triple.
My lucky call is gettin wore out but hope to get a few more seasons out of it..
Have some new ones for when it ever goes bad.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Fugg mouth calls, use a slate😂. I only use a mouth call to yelp when the turkeys are in range, it's a primos hooks, can't remember which model but it's got the blue design on it.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I quit carrying diaphragm calls a couple years ago. I can't help myself if I know I can make a bird gobble, I'll blow the call. That's not the most effective way to actually kill em, and since my hunting paywanta to actually shoot them, I've just been carrying slates to keep me from over calling.

I'm glad you found your favorite call. Good calls are hard to replace.

wv67

I use any bat wing cut ,, haven't had a problem finding them, and they all seem easy to purr and cut with , and the occasional gobble ( for roosting ) I like to use a pot call mixed with a mouth call sound like more than one turkey

Diablo54

Outside
Woodhaven. Red scorpion. Discontinued. So I buy them off eBay when I find them. However they are making a green scorpion now with same cut.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ever have a go to favorite mouth call that they quit making or gets hard to find? I do.
My go to favorite Diaphragm call has been the Lohman Double Reed #820!!!!
So today I did a little google search at work and found a few so I did what any die hard would do and bought not just 1, but 10 of the over priced dang things!!mischeif.gif
Yep I figured why spend more on trying some different brands when I can pick up some of what I really like.
How much do they go for?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just bought a couple from Hooks Custom Calls. The Executioner and the Executioner 2. They're both a split v cuts with a bit extra taken out of one side. One is a 2.5 reed and the other has 3 reeds. So far I like them. I've always liked the Woodhaven calls too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm like Brock in that I love yelping and making birds gobble, so I try to put them away after I've located a bird. I have been using the same Primos bat wing cut for a few years a like it the best of the ones I've tried. Not overly versed in different kinds though.