Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food Plot Sprayer

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I am looking for a sprayer to put on 4 wheeler or SxS to spray my food plots. Does anyone have experience or suggestions? Right now I am looking at the North Star from Northern Tool 16 gallon spot and broadcast sprayer.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have the equivalent of the North Star from TSC which is a Fimco. It has the boom attachment. I built a platform for it to make it easy to swap out. On year 4 with it and it's been a great investment. Had to spend some time fixing minor leaks this spring, but wasn't a huge pain and the only maintenance I've done to it.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have the equivalent of the North Star from TSC which is a Fimco. It has the boom attachment. I built a platform for it to make it easy to swap out. On year 4 with it and it's been a great investment. Had to spend some time fixing minor leaks this spring, but wasn't a huge pain and the only maintenance I've done to it.

Do you plug it into your atv or attach to battery?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No. I haven't seen a need for it personally. It has an on/off switch and I'll hit it if I need to cut off the spray. I've only used it to spray gly and 2-4D, so I'm not to worried abut regulating flow.

My Dad has one from Northern tool and it works really well. They don't put a ton of spray down per second, so at my speed I usually go over a plot twice to put down enough gly. Works well as it helps make sure you don't miss any spots. My Dad's has a boomless sprayer.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I use a 25 gl sprayer from Rural King. It came with 2 nozzles but always seemed like one would plug up so I got a good single wide angle nozzle and it works fine with 2-25 ft wide spray area.. I didn't want a boom style sprayer as I have fence post on both ends and I just knew I would swing around and hit them.
I use my son's deep charge boat battery with a on and off switch.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Thanks for the advice guys. The North Star 26 gallon sprayer I got worked like a champ over the weekend. I ran it empty then put 3 gallons of water in tank and ran that out to clean hoses. I checked on fields today and it looks like they are starting to die after 2 days. I'm hoping the spray my dad picked up will work, if not I got some Roundup that should finish the job.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the advice guys. The North Star 26 gallon sprayer I got worked like a champ over the weekend. I ran it empty then put 3 gallons of water in tank and ran that out to clean hoses. I checked on fields today and it looks like they are starting to die after 2 days. I'm hoping the spray my dad picked up will work, if not I got some Roundup that should finish the job.

If you have a Rural King nearby, go pick up a jug of their Drexel glyphosate 41% concentrate. (Glyphosate is active ingredient in Roundup). You can usually get it for about 16 bucks a gallon. And it'll last you a while spraying at 0.5 to 2% solution.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you have a Rural King nearby, go pick up a jug of their Drexel glyphosate 41% concentrate. (Glyphosate is active ingredient in Roundup). You can usually get it for about 16 bucks a gallon. And it'll last you a while spraying at 0.5 to 2% solution.

Been using this for 6-7 yrs and works great.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Thanks Ill have to go get some, I normally buy the cheap stuff at TSC, might be close to same price, I think they sell it by the 2.5 gallons containers.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Ill have to go get some, I normally buy the cheap stuff at TSC, might be close to same price, I think they sell it by the 2.5 gallons containers.
Yea, it's all the same... Glyphosate is glyphosate. Just find the best price you can.