Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's the thinnest ice you will fish?

What's the thinnest ice you will fish?

• 3"

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 4"

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 5"

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 6"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thicker?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've been on some questionable ice...for both thickness and quality.

My first ice was 2" of clear ice with 2" of white ice. I fished it for several days, before warmer weather melted the top layers and it became 4" of all clear ice.

My most recent venture was a pond that...still, hasn't froze all that well. It has 2" of clear ice and 1" of white ice. If you bounce (not jump) while standing next to a drilled 6" hole, you can see the water "squish" in and out of the hole. :smiley_chinrub: I didn't set up on this ice (ice shelter, sled, etc.), just walked out, drilled a few holes, fished and left.

What's the thinnest ice you've fished?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

When I was young and Imortal I fished on 1.5-2" ice a number of times

On several ponds I fish , 3" dosn't bother me

But I sure will never fish a larger pond or lake with less than 4"

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I don't fish unless I have a boat under my feet..... Just saying.... And by the way.... If you ever hear of my demise while Ice Fishing.... Don't friggin believe it.... I don't ice fish.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I don't fish unless I have a boat under my feet..... Just saying.... And by the way.... If you ever hear of my demise while Ice Fishing.... Don't friggin believe it.... I don't ice fish.....

rotflmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've fished on 2.5 and 3" before just fine, but never by myself. If I'm fishing alone it's got to be at least 3-4" thick.