Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Westin Nerf Bars

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well I bought a set back in 2014 and put them on in November I believe it was, they came with a one year warranty and a 3 year finish warranty....

Looked at them a couple weeks ago and they were rusting from the inside out from the looks of it....

Got hold of Westin, they told me to go to whom ever I'd purchased them from and this led me back to Summit racing up by Akron....

Emailed them with my story and they said no problem, we'll send you a new set...

Well today they were delivered and I just got done installing them... They were not easy coming off, all the hardware was rusted badly and 4 of the bolts that go thru the saddles I had to grind the heads off too get them to separate so I could fit them back into the box.... The bars when stood upright you can hear the rust rolling down them inside....

Gotta say I'm not impressed with the quality of the first set, which leads me to believe I'll be paying closer attention too the second set... But of course I only had 6 months left on the warranty so that's all the new set came with lol.... typical of how this works from my experience....

Kudos to summit for standing behind what they sell, they never asked for proof of purchase as they had everything in the computer from 2.5 years ago....

If I had it all to do over? Knowing what I know now? I'd probably go with summit but with another brand of nerf bar....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

Forgot the pictures of the old ones lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear they took care of you.

I've never seen a set of black nerf bars that didn't completely rust out. They all do it. The only ones that seem to last a decent amount of time are the chrome ones.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad to hear they took care of you.

I've never seen a set of black nerf bars that didn't completely rust out. They all do it. The only ones that seem to last a decent amount of time are the chrome ones.

Yeah, I had a black set on a bronco and an f-150, both lasted about 5-6 years but once they started it went quick...

Seems the powder coating didn't last on this set... Bracket looked like they were sandblasted and the powder coating shouldn't have come off like that...

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J i just had some Lund bars do the same thing.
I get my stuff from Realtruck.com and called them up,they had a lifetime warranty and Realtruck took care of everything dealing with the manufacturer and had a new set within a week.
Only had em for 18 months.
Guess it's good they have a good warranty.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J i just had some Lund bars do the same thing.
I get my stuff from Realtruck.com and called them up,they had a lifetime warranty and Realtruck took care of everything dealing with the manufacturer and had a new set within a week.
Only had em for 18 months.
Guess it's good they have a good warranty.

In hindsight I should of went with Lund.... I couldn't remember which ones I had bought as the Z71 had the chrome stock ones from the factory and they lasted a long time before any rust showed up on them like Jim said earlier....

Rolled the dice and came out getting the wrong set from the right store....