Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Load

Gordo

Athens County
Not that kind........ lmao

Just wondering what everyone's shooting and if you have any recommendations for ole Gordo.

My little used Turk gun is a mossberg 535(I believe; will confirm) turkey edition' with the extra full(Turk) choke.

I'm not sure what I was shooting out of it other then it was a 3.5 inch Turk load and that was years ago. In my opinion it was patterning well, but any tips from you guys who are knee deep in bird season would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Try those Winchester longbeard XR's. Plenty of reviews on YouTube. Or you could bow hunt turkeys and not have to worry about patterning a shotgun 😎

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The 1st couple years I bought duplex turkey loads. Misplace them and just use 12 ga. #8 dove shot now. Dropped all 3 turkeys I shot at.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I shoot the 3.5 inch hevi metal magnum blend. It's a stacked load of like 7.5, 6 and 4s I think. The only time they don't kill em dead is when you shoot a log instead of the turkey.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have had really good luck with the cheap old Remington nitro 3". However this year I bought some of the Winchester longbeard X-R. From the pattern it shoots I think I can take a birds head completely off at the distance I normally shoot. Or I'll miss completely, I win either way.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I'm the keep it simple and easy guy, my 11-87 SP likes Federal 3" 4 shot shoot really well and kills em dead so I'll continue to use them.

Gordo

Athens County
Max range you guys will let rip?

To me, anything past 25 seems FAR with a shot gun. I've never patterned past 30, but have heard of people wacking them at 40+?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Max range you guys will let rip?

To me, anything past 25 seems FAR with a shot gun. I've never patterned past 30, but have heard of people wacking them at 40+?

When my grandson was about 12 he shot a Jake at 25 yds and blew some feathers off the chest and it took off running. My son grapped the Benneli 12 ga shotgun and shot the running turkey at 62 yds. It dropped in it's tracks and was dead when we walked up. We stepped it off and if I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it.