Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

22 TCM rifle project

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The 22 TCM round is based on a shorten 223 case. The 22 TCM round is the same length as a loaded 45 ACP round.
The 22 TCM round was designed to fire in a 1911 pistol.
Rock Island Armory -RIA- have the pistol and rifle made in the Philippines. High quality and priced right.
The factory loaded round is rated at 2000 FPS in 5" pistol barrel.
The factory loaded round is rated at 2800 FPS in 26" rifle barrel.

I have both the pistol and rifle in 22 TCM.

There has been some bad press on the early rifles having rough barrels and poor accuracy. So I sent a email to RIA customer service asking should I send my early rifle with serial # 417 back unfired for replacement or shoot it and find a accuracy problem.
Customer service advised me there was very few barrel problems so just shoot it and they would cover replacement under life time warranty if there was a problem.

So I mounted a 4 power Leupold scope and set up to test it today. Set a target up at 25 yds with 25-35 MPH west wind.
I'll be damn but I couldn't adjust the fuzzyness out of the scope. That's a 1st time for a Leupold scope. My son walked down and tried the scope and sure enough the scope is bad.

I shoot 2 shoot groups at 25 yds with a fuzzy scope and both rounds almost touching.
Adjusted scope to the right and shot another 2 rounds and almost touching.
Readjusted scope and another 2 rounds almost touching.

So the rifle has promise in accuracy. Tomorrow I'll put a different scope on it and shoot at 50 yds. I bought this as a 100 yd rifle.

But damn this factory ammo was hot and bolt was sticky to unload. That's been another online complaint the the RIA factory was too hot. But this is early ammo 2 yrs old just like the rifle.

The bullet is a rather poorly designed 40 gr HP to function in the pistol.

The rifle comes with a 5 round magazine but my 17 round double stack pistol magazine will also work in the rifle.

I'll update later with more info after more testing.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I put a Redfield 1x4 power compact scope on the rifle.
Accuracy at 25 yds sighting in is promising with 2 shots touching groups.

But having serious problem of light hits with RIA factory ammo.
1 box fired 8 and 2 failed to fire even with double hits.
2nd box fired 16 and 8 failed to fire even with double hits.

As a test I deprimed 10 cases and installed rifle primers.
Fired 10 and 1 did not fire.

Sent a email to RIA customer service stating the above.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In less than 3 hours I received a email from RIA customer service. They are sending a prepaid shipping label to send my rifle back for warranty service.
They have seen the light primer hits before but can't explain it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This isn't going well at all. I really like the concept of this round in this rifle but too many issues.
Even with factory ammo the bolt lift after shooting a round is tough to say the least. Too many complaints of hard bolt lift on all the forums.
RAI offered me a full refund of my purchase price so it appears I will be sending the rifle back on their dime for a refund.
If I go forward with a 22 TCM rifle I may go with a AR rifle in 22 TCM.

I do like my 22 TCM RIA 1911 style pistol and that is a keeper.