Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well, mowing season is officialy here

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've been mowing for a few weeks, & now, the neighbors are joining in. Nobody & I mean nobody else besides me in the culdesac ever has the common sense to go out & pick up the winter debri BEFORE mowing. I hear so much racket, that 2 out of three has to take their mowers in for repair EACH summer. One guy actually push mows the hill behind him & it's a constant crackling all fuggin day when clearing the small patch of woods behind his house. He's the one that takes his back 3 times for repair....lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ya I mowed my last week. They should have hanged the guy who thought of pretty grass in yards. If everyone had just weeds it would be normal.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My gripe is that these guys just don't know to stop trying to mulch their sticks. I don't know what's worse at my house ... me listening to this all summer, or my wife listening to me bitch about it all summer....lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

At least my lawn looks nice though😀

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Same here. Mulch the little stuff up and pick up anything that might make a dangerous projectile or break a spindle. LOL

Got that right. The 1st time I mowed at my new house I throw a 1/4" stone right through my spouting down pipe. Missed my window by 2 ft. If it hit someone in the head it would have killed them.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Theres not enough time to always be picking up sticks if there any decent amount of trees in your yard. 1" or so and over a foot long I try to pick up. After that mulch em!

Stones are the biggest thing for me, then stumps (lol). I've busted one kitchen window due to rocks and last season broke one into 3 that peppered the siding with 1 hole each respectively.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mowed for the first time last night. Forgot how much I hated it since last fall. It's just such a waste of fuggin time. 1.5 - 2 hours on a 60" zero turn each time I do it. There are so many other productive things I could be doing in that 2 hours. That's not including picking up large sticks first. So fugg those little tree branches... I mulch em!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Mowed for the first time this year yesterday as well. Changed the oil. racked my bare spots and seeded them. Put weed and crabgrass fertilizer down as well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mowed for the first time this year yesterday as well. Changed the oil. racked my bare spots and seeded them. Put weed and crabgrass fertilizer down as well.
You wasted your money on the seed. I say this so you don't do it in the future. The crabgrass preventer will also prevent the new seed from germinating. In the future if you are going to be overseeding, skip the crabgrass preventer and just use a straight fertilizer.

Lawn looks nice Chad. I pick up the sticks. Majority of them anyway. I can't afford to buy windows, siding, and eyeballs. My insurance company would unload me. I have bought 3 windows in the last 20yrs. One was a car. Don't think I was the guy on the mower for any of these occasions but it doesn't matter. I get to write the check. It is a numbers game. You can be as careful as possible. You mow commercially for 20yrs. . . .You will buy a window, a dog tie out, or replace SOMETHING eventually.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My mower took a shit last fall, so I am also mowing my parent's place in exchange for using their mower. We are buying their house next spring and I get their mower, so there was no use buying one. But I'm now up to 8 hours a week in mowing and weedeating. Here is my future backyard...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
You wasted your money on the seed. I say this so you don't do it in the future. The crabgrass preventer will also prevent the new seed from germinating. In the future if you are going to be overseeding, skip the crabgrass preventer and just use a straight fertilizer.

Lawn looks nice Chad. I pick up the sticks. Majority of them anyway. I can't afford to buy windows, siding, and eyeballs. My insurance company would unload me. I have bought 3 windows in the last 20yrs. One was a car. Don't think I was the guy on the mower for any of these occasions but it doesn't matter. I get to write the check. It is a numbers game. You can be as careful as possible. You mow commercially for 20yrs. . . .You will buy a window, a dog tie out, or replace SOMETHING eventually.

I hold off on the crabgrass preventative where seeding.