Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

By this time tomorrow...

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Damn wished I could go. So they have any easterns where your going. Buddy of mine killed a couple Easterns down there a few years back. Good luck!!

Just 1 More

I'm back from Kansas.. Killed a decent Rio, missed a big one thanks to a spastic ADD trigger happy hunting buddy... LOL, could have killed a bunch of jakes. The one I killed has 8 3/4 beard, 7/8 & 3/4 spurs, only weighed 17lbs.
We heard hundreds of gobbles each morning but they were henned up bad and always in the other field. The one I killed gobbled a hundred times on the roost and made the wrong decision that morning on which way to fly down.. he strutted and drummed all the way across the field to the decoys and that was that.

Last edited:

Just 1 More

One of the evening sits.. We had a jake molest the decoys for 3 hours.. He took turns with each one but especially the Montana Decoy Miss PurrFect, He seriously molested her for most of the 3 hours. He would pick the decoy up and carry it around, mount it, toss it up in the air.. It was the craziest shit I've ever seen.. He then tried to work on the Avian X hen but that one is a lot more sturdy and he couldn't get it to the ground to do his thing.

That jake didn't care if we moved, talked, drank, whatever.. he was just completely love struck and oblivious. When we were getting ready to leave, I told my buddy, let me see if I can crawl up on the jake.. So I crawled out in to the field, in to the decoy spread and the jake kept about a 5 yard distance.. I sat up on my knees and the jake would walk around me checking me out.. Suddenly,, a series of gobbles from the top of the hill and my buddy telling me "DON"T MOVE" "I'll shoot when they get past you".. WTF??? NO!!!!
So 5 more jakes come running in to the decoys all the while i'm on my knees in the decoy spread, coming within 3 feet of me.... only took them a few minutes to realize that something wasn't right with that big ole ugly stump . my legs started hurting and going to sleep so I rolled to one side which spooked the birds a little but they came right back.. shifted to the other side and same thing.. finally I stood up and cleared the field except for that one love struck crazy jake. he just stayed there but kept a little distance while we packed everything up.

Last edited: