Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkeys are getting sexy out there

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Step out the door and the turkeys are just gobbling away like crazy down in the food plots and my summer cattle pasture.
Just can't get into the mood to turkey hunt as I see them every day and just doesn't seem like much of a challenge anymore. I've taken couple nice long beards Toms on the farm and everyone in the family took their Toms here and no one takes the time to hunt them anymore. Wasn't like this 10-12 yrs ago when it was a new challenge for everyone.
Seems like the last couple years it's tough hunting them as there are so many. IMHO the Toms roost with the hens and fly down together and never leave the hens. If you aren't lucky enough to be in the fly down landing spot it shit out of luck for the day.
I do have 3 great fly down areas to hunt. I'll check if the boys want to hunt this year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Watched a tom breed a hen Sunday morning just after fly down, first time I'd ever seen that in person.They are also fairly easy to pattern in the early season IMO, so if a guy can't get them off the roost he can usually set up where the hens like to feed. Get out there and kill one, Frank.

Last edited:
Going to start scouting this weekend. Birds hard to pattern around here. They roost anywhere on any given day. But I know there are at least 3 longbeards in the area and probably 4. Gotta check trailcams this weekend. They have been out for a few weeks so hope the birds are in certain fields consistently.