Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SUV with 3rd row seat needed. Suggestions?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have a 2004 GMC Envoy. It has treated us well. It is starting to nickel and dime us. It has 165k miles. Wife doesn't drive a ton anymore. Would prefer 4x4. I refuse to go the minivan route. Likely looking for something in the 2008-2012 range. I will not own an Acadia or Traverse. They are terrible. What options are left out there which some of you may have had luck with?

I would love to get better mileage than her barge of an Envoy. It does 12mpg around town with her driving. 13-15mpg if I drive. 17-19mpg on highway if I drive. Local mileage increase would be excellent but I don't anticipate much better on the highway.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well then... I won't be much help since we traded a 2003 Envoy XL for a 2012 Traverse LTZ. Nevermind that it's been a great vehicle since it's off the list already. AWD, all the bells and whistles and 21mpg...

You might as well start looking at Honda Pilots or Kia Sportages if you don't want an Acadia or Traverse because that's about all that's left to replace an Envoy.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good gas mileage and large SUV aren't usually used in the same sentence. I have not experience with the Acadia or Traverse other than I don't care for their look. Newer Explorers are pretty damn nice. Could get one with Ecoboost.

Well then... I won't be much help since we traded a 2003 Envoy XL for a 2012 Traverse LTZ. Nevermind that it's been a great vehicle since it's off the list already. AWD, all the bells and whistles and 21mpg...

You might as well start looking at Honda Pilots or Kia Sportages if you don't want an Acadia or Traverse because that's about all that's left to replace an Envoy.

Our traverse has served us well.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Honda and Toyota mean more $ for the same perks. Not saying you don't get what you pay for, but the additional $3-5K for the "same" vehicle is tough to part with, especially for a frugal feller like Phil.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Toyota highlander hybrid here. Wee like it but it can't tow with the hybrid transmission. When third row is up minimal cargo space remains.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good gas mileage and large SUV aren't usually used in the same sentence. I have not experience with the Acadia or Traverse other than I don't care for their look. Newer Explorers are pretty damn nice. Could get one with Ecoboost.

I've never went for looks in a car of truck purchase. I look at value, dependable for the 10 yrs I plan to keep it, and total gas mileage expense for the long run. I've always put the extra money saved on unwanted looks factor in the bank.
I really can't see the looks when I'm inside it driving. I drive a comfrontable , save, and dependable ride.
I always felt I bought a vehicle for the wife and I to ride in the front seats. And always felt the passengers riding along are damn lucky for the ride and not walking.
I don't believe in spending good hard earned money to impress anyone. My son says at times I look like a homeless person the way I dress around the farm but I feel damn comfrontable in my well worn clothes. I do upgrade a little when I go to town.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never went for looks in a car of truck purchase. I look at value, dependable for the 10 yrs I plan to keep it, and total gas mileage expense for the long run. I've always put the extra money saved on unwanted looks factor in the bank.
I really can't see the looks when I'm inside it driving. I drive a comfrontable , save, and dependable ride.
I always felt I bought a vehicle for the wife and I to ride in the front seats. And always felt the passengers riding along are damn lucky for the ride and not walking.
I don't believe in spending good hard earned money to impress anyone. My son says at times I look like a homeless person the way I dress around the farm but I feel damn comfrontable in my well worn clothes. I do upgrade a little when I go to town.
For some, that may be true. For me, it's got absolutely nothing to do with impressing anyone. Everyone has their own way of enjoying their "hard earned money." For some, it's nice clothing, or nice guns, or a vacation, etc. For some, it's a nice ride that they like the looks of. I would never spend my hard earned money on a vehicle that I don't personally like the look of. Same way I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on a shotgun that doesn't fit me well. Doesn't mean I'm wasting money. I'm saving it in other aspects of my life.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Everyone I know who has had a Traverse or Acadia has loved them and had great experiences. You could always go bigger with a Tahoe. Mileage is relative. Any more, you can push 20+ mpg by not driving like an asshat with large SUV's.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have a 2006 explorer Eddie Bauer, good on gas and good in the snow. The newer ones look real nice.

Do they offer with a third row seat? I was thinking it was only in the newer models or Expedition/Excursions. An Explorer with third row would definitely catch my attention as well.

To Jesse and others with Acadia/Traverse, I mean no offense. I went thru the consumer reports and looked at years to stay away from. It listed nearly every year Acadia/Traverse from 2006-2015. That was enough for me to rule them out. Maybe I should read some more research on them.

Hedge- I was really liking the reliability/mileage/options on the Highlanders. Looked at other Toyota SUV's as well. Hybrid versions make me a little nervous. Has your hybrid treated you well? What year? How many miles have you put on it? Makes me a little nervous in regards to cargo space. It won't be as critical in a few years when the kids start moving out. Right now the extra space along with third row would be nice.

I was also looking at the Honda Pilots. If we can get 15-16mpg around town that would be great. That is pretty solid on such a large vehicle. 17-18mpg would be a bonus but not expected with my wife driving. She thinks she is driving an 3000lb Alpha Romeo or something when in her barge.

I may have to suck it up and find a minivan for 3-5yrs. They are cheap enough. They just drop in value so much and I'd hate to be seen in one. lol

Our other option is to keep sinking money into it. Maybe this is the last repair for the next couple years. Battery, alternator, belt, belt tensioner pulley have been replaced. I have a feeling the starter will be replaced Monday. Tires, brakes, body are pretty solid. The lack of payment is VERY nice. We are trying to keep it this way. The good news is we can likely get $5-6000 out of it still.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do they offer with a third row seat? I was thinking it was only in the newer models or Expedition/Excursions. An Explorer with third row would definitely catch my attention as well.

To Jesse and others with Acadia/Traverse, I mean no offense. I went thru the consumer reports and looked at years to stay away from. It listed nearly every year Acadia/Traverse from 2006-2015. That was enough for me to rule them out. Maybe I should read some more research on them.

Hedge- I was really liking the reliability/mileage/options on the Highlanders. Looked at other Toyota SUV's as well. Hybrid versions make me a little nervous. Has your hybrid treated you well? What year? How many miles have you put on it? Makes me a little nervous in regards to cargo space. It won't be as critical in a few years when the kids start moving out. Right now the extra space along with third row would be nice.

I was also looking at the Honda Pilots. If we can get 15-16mpg around town that would be great. That is pretty solid on such a large vehicle. 17-18mpg would be a bonus but not expected with my wife driving. She thinks she is driving an 3000lb Alpha Romeo or something when in her barge.

I may have to suck it up and find a minivan for 3-5yrs. They are cheap enough. They just drop in value so much and I'd hate to be seen in one. lol

Our other option is to keep sinking money into it. Maybe this is the last repair for the next couple years. Battery, alternator, belt, belt tensioner pulley have been replaced. I have a feeling the starter will be replaced Monday. Tires, brakes, body are pretty solid. The lack of payment is VERY nice. We are trying to keep it this way. The good news is we can likely get $5-6000 out of it still.
Yes ours has a third row seat. Most of the time it's folded down for more cargo room but it's there if we need it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Blending everything you guys have said, I am leaning towards an Explorer now. Jesse is right. Why spend an extra $3-5k for Honda or Toyota? Looks like Explorers can be found with under 100k miles in the 2010-2012 range for -$10-15k. For $10k it looks like you can find a Honda or Toyota but it will be a 2006-2009 model. As my shopping has begun, it amazes me the range of prices for year, mileage, and manufacturer. Crazy differences. Some are $20k but have 50k miles while the next has 90k miles but is $12-14k.

Last edited:
We had a minivan when all 3 of our kids were young. It was way better than an suv for that age of kids. Way more room to be able to buckle car seats and stuff. Yes I didn't like the looks but functionality wise it was great.