Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NC Turkey Trip

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My son Tyler and I are headed to JoeJoe's in North Carolina this weekend for the turkey opener. We are really looking forward to it and excited to finally get to spend some time in the woods with Joseph. It's going to be a good time.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The weather looks good for this weekend in NC. Hoping to get headed that way by 3:30. Thanks for the well wishes. I will update if I can.

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
We just got home. Finally getting to spend time with Joseph in the woods was what this old boy needed. What a great trip. The turkeys didn't exactly cooperate but Tyler did bring one home...21 lbs, 1 inch spurs and 10 inch beard. Late morning we set up and did some blind calling. I got a hen to respond after a while. About 10 minutes later Tyler whispered "was that a spit and drum?" I said I thought it was, then it did it again. A moment later it popped up on a little mound in full strut. Then started walking along the mound. Tyler rolled him at 39 yards. When he got to him he was flopping off the mound. He tried to step on his neck but missed and got the tail.

We only had one bird that would work but wouldn't leave his 3 hens...he stopped about 80 yards out putting on a show. There were a lot of birds but they just weren't willing to play. It was a different type of hunting for sure, flat!!! Other than the man made mound that Tyler's bird was on there was nothing. A turkey gobble doesn't travel very far there. It was a great weekend with my son and developing a new friendship with Joseph.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg