Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doors shutting, doors opening.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As the saying goes, doors shutting, can lead to doors opening. I've been hunting the same property for the last 25 years. It's right behind my house, so it was a blessing not to have to be driving somewhere to hunt. That can leave a guy a bit spoiled. Being able to just walk out the door & not worry about bumping into someone else is something we all dream about. Well, the last few years saw the land being leased & my hunting area quickly diminished. It was an odd situation. The land owner said he didn't mind if I went up in a bit, but it was his son who brought in the outfitters. All in all, I knew my days were numbered. I haven't gone looking for new land to hunt in many years. I became lazy. One of my brother in laws have some land, but the other family members didn't want anyone hunting. It wasn't nearby anyhow, I have another brother in law much closer, but his wife never wanted hunters in, at least that's what my wife said, so I never asked. Never. I came home from work a day ago, & my wife had gone out to eat dinner with this this particular brother & his wife. I was home from work when she arrived, she said she had some news. I told her I had a really good day at work & I only wanted good news.

She told me her brother is getting tired of finding tree stands on his property when has not been giving permission to anyone. He owns 70 acres & lives 3 miles away, as the crow flies. She proceeded to tell me he's wanting me to come in to hunt & police his land. I've really never paid attention to his ownership, but when I investigated the online plat maps, I was quite surprised to see that I never knew how much area this encompassed. I've had past & also present dealings with his neighbors, that I didn't even know lived there !

Anyway, I went out today to walk the boundaries with him & abruptly got tangled up in a stupid stick & fell flat on my face, almost breaking my shin. Damn thing still hurts. He had the land timbered last year, which I knew, so I was a bit apprehensive on what the affect will be in the coming years. New browse of course, but at what price to maneuver around scared me. We walked the lines & I must admit, I am very excited for the upcoming years. It's all deep woods. No fields, no fence lines. There is a gas line right a way that cuts thru the county & right in the middle of his place, which leaves a nice wide grassy strip to easily traverse the width of the property. Other than deer tracks everywhere, I didn't see a single old rub or scrape anywhere. With him telling me of seeing turkey & deer all the time, the number of stands we saw along the property lines leave me full of confidence just the same.

I later learned today, that the land behind me is going to be timbered soon. A tree right in front of my ladder stand was marked, so things are hitting close to home. I went up to pull my cams & sure enough, I was capturing guys & surveying equipment, so I'm blessed that something here happened for a reason. I've read about this happening to other people, but wow.

So, for this year I'll finally be able to start my own hunting blog, sharing things about learning the way of the Whitetail in a new & different perspective.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sad to see the ol stomping grounds go but just might be the thing that kicks you in the butt and lights that fire again. Good luck this season. Can't wait to see the hunting blog Kevin.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great to hear Kevin! Get out there and look for sheds and Scout for them turkeys! I'd also, with the permission of your BIL, put NO HUNTING/TRESPASSING signs up along the entire boundary to send a message to all of these Yahoo!'s that have been trespassing.

GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS!:smiley_clap:

Great to hear Kevin! Get out there and look for sheds and Scout for them turkeys! I'd also, with the permission of your BIL, put NO HUNTING/TRESPASSING signs up along the entire boundary to send a message to all of these Yahoo!'s that have been trespassing.

GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS!:smiley_clap:

Yes that is good advice. The earlier the signs go up the better. Good chance that some of those stands are the neighbors.