Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio CRP Program

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We have about 80 acres of crp on the property we hunt. The land owner has just renewed his land in the program.
The state is making him spray all the fescue grass and re plant with another type of grass but he couldn't remember
what type of grass it is. He said they told him that the grass he will be planting is good for wildlife.
Does anyone know what type of grass this may be?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably a mixture of warm season grasses, such as Big Bluestem, Little Bluestem, Indiangrass, and Switchgrass... Likely some forbes mixed in there as well. Fescue is a cool season grass and does not offer much value to wildlife. Most CRP programs specify which types.of grasses are required, as well as the management practices, to stay in compliance I believe.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Probably a mixture of warm season grasses, such as Big Bluestem, Little Bluestem, Indiangrass, and Switchgrass... Likely some forbes mixed in there as well. Fescue is a cool season grass and does not offer much value to wildlife. Most CRP programs specify which types.of grasses are required, as well as the management practices, to stay in compliance I believe.

Thanks, Can you educate me on how the deer may benefit with these grasses? Do they stand thru the winter?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks, Can you educate me on how the deer may benefit with these grasses? Do they stand thru the winter?
It's mainly a cover benefit. But if there's forbes they will browse on those too. The Bluestem grasses tend to fall over with heavy snow but Switchgrass holds up pretty well. It's extremely dense and deer feel very secure bedding in these grasses. It's not uncommon to see bucks tending does during rut in the middle of CRP. You just can't get near them without them knowing it, unless it's a really windy day. Obviously other critters benefit greatly from it too, especially ground-nesting birds.
I'd love to see my dad put all 20 acres of our fields in CRP. My favorite habitat for deer hunting.
It would be a great improvement to the property. Unfortunately I think it's getting tougher to enroll ground in CRP due to acreage caps.