Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pigeons

Wmiller07

I got permission to hunt pigeons Saturday. As long g as it's not raining there will be dead pigeons. FYI great way to train your dog in the off season.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
50-55 plus years ago my brother and I killed 1000's of pigeons. We would go into the barns at night and climb up to both end high windows and someone would shine a bright light on the roosting pigeons. They would scare and fly towards the end windows and we would just club them down. Take a big bag out of each barn and the farmer was happy as hell.
Oh those was the years.

Wmiller07

50-55 plus years ago my brother and I killed 1000's of pigeons. We would go into the barns at night and climb up to both end high windows and someone would shine a bright light on the roosting pigeons. They would scare and fly towards the end windows and we would just club them down. Take a big bag out of each barn and the farmer was happy as hell.
Oh those was the years.

Sounds like a good time. I am going to decoy them like doves and train my dog. I think it's a great way to keep your dog on birds so you aren't going months with your dog not touching a live bird.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Oh those was the years.
Probably got shit on a lot I would imagine 😂

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got to try a little piece of a pigeon last year. Can't say where we were. I did share it with some TOO brothers though. lmao

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We had a barn in town that had one small hole in the upper corner of the loft. Would sneak in there at night, shove a piece of spouting over the hole, flip on the lights....then it was game on! Got about 15 one night. 5 or 6 was about average though.

Wmiller07

Stupid weathermen. It said it was supposed to rain this morning and it never did. We are going to try tomorrow afternoon

scottofalltrades

I was just about to ask if anyone could point me in the direction of some pigeon wings and some frozen pigeons for training. Is this how most of y'all get them?