Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Federal Legislation Introduced to Ban Trapping on Wildlife Refuges

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
The normal strategy is a death by 1,000 cuts. This legislation will cut with a machete. Every sportsman and woman should contact their Congressman or Congresswoman today and ask them to vote NO on HR 1438!!

http://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/alert-federal-legislation-ban-trapping-wildlife-refuges/

Take Action Today! Sportsmen’s Alliance members should contact their Congressman or Congresswoman today and ask them to vote NO on HR 1438. HR 1438 has been assigned to the House Committee on Natural Resources. Members can contact their legislator by using the Sportsmen’s Alliance’s Legislative Action Center.

New York Congresswoman Nita Lowey, a longtime opponent of hunting rights, has introduced legislation that would ban trapping on national wildlife refuge lands. House Resolution 1438 known as the Refuge from Cruel Trapping Act, would ban body gripping, foothold and snare traps on more than 150 million acres of federal land.

In a statement released on her website, Lowey writes: “We must restore the true meaning of ‘refuge’ to the National Wildlife Refuge System.” Additionally, Lowey also quotes Born Free USA, a long-time anti-trapping organization. Their quote incorrectly states that “The mission of the National Wildlife Refuge System is clear: to be an inviolate sanctuary for our native wildlife.”

Despite the lofty rhetoric and misleading statements, the National Wildlife Refuge System was not designed to be sanctuary for animals; instead, it was specifically designed to include hunting, fishing and trapping. Moreover, in 1997 Congress approved the National Wildlife Refuge Improvement Act, which identified hunting, which includes trapping, as a priority use of refuge land. The law was signed by President Bill Clinton. In addition, trapping is an effective tool for controlling predators, which can negatively impact other wildlife on refuge lands.

“It’s clear from her statements that Representative Lowey does not have a firm handle on the purpose of these lands, or how the funds used to manage them for the benefit of all species are derived, ” said Evan Heusinkveld, president and CEO of the Sportsmen’s Alliance. “It’s not surprising that such a distorted view would lead to legislation like this. And it’s no surprise that Representative Lowey is rated a ‘Humane Champion’ by the Humane Society of America’s Legislative Fund.”

Trapping is utilized across the United States, by both federal and state wildlife managers. Refuge land is managed in cooperation with state fish and wildlife agencies. HR 1438 would put a one-size-fits-all federal ban in place for refuges rather than allow state biologists do what is best for individual refuge properties. The traps that would be banned by HR 1438 are the most common and effective devices used by trappers. HR 1438 is a first step to ban hunting on all federal land and should be rejected.

About the Sportsmen’s Alliance: The Sportsmen’s Alliance protects and defends America’s wildlife conservation programs and the pursuits – hunting, fishing and trapping – that generate the money to pay for them. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is responsible for public education, legal defense and research. Its mission is accomplished through several distinct programs coordinated to provide the most complete defense capability possible. Stay connected to Sportsmen’s Alliance: Online, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the heads up, Sean. It's incredible how ignorant these congressmen and women can be!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My message to Congressman Jim Jordan:

"Mr. Jordan, I am writing to you in regards to HR1438, which is being proposed by Congresswoman Lowey from New York. The intent of this resolution is to ban all trapping on federal wildlife refuges, with the ignorant goal of "restoring the true meaning of the word refuge." It's clear that her intent is good-natured, but unfortunately her ignorance to the benefits of trapping is clouding her judgement. Trapping is a critical management tool for wildlife managers... Both for managing flora and fauna of an area, but also for the protection of infastructure of an area. I ask that you vote 'No' on HR1438 and encourage your fellow representatives to do the same. Emotion should not be involved in management decisions pertaining to wildlife. Please be a voice of reason on this matter. Thank you."

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks Jim.... I sent one to Bill Johnson my representative as well.... I've talked too his office way too much this year lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Dear Rick,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding HR 1438, also known as the Oregon Coastal Lands Act. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and for passing along the information.

In regard to your email, I would suggest that you contact your United States Congressman as HR 1438 is a bill currently pending in the United States House of Representatives. As a state senator, I have no jurisdiction over federal matters. Congressman Pat Tiberi’s office can be reached at:

1203 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5355
http://tiberi.house.gov/

Once again, thank you for your email. If I can be of any assistance in matters pertaining to state government, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jay Hottinger
State Senator
31st Senate District

(Already had contacted Tiberi and anyone else that would listen) :smiley_coolpeace:

I love to see guys getting involved! This bill will never pass, and even if it does, Trump will veto it. The person Trump appointed to head the department in charge of federal lands just repealed the regulations banning lead shot on federal lands as well. They are in our corner.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I love to see guys getting involved! This bill will never pass, and even if it does, Trump will veto it. The person Trump appointed to head the department in charge of federal lands just repealed the regulations banning lead shot on federal lands as well. They are in our corner.

Agreed, but never let your guard down....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree that I don't think it'll pass , but if it's made a law will the head of the Department of the Interior even have any say in the matter?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Agreed, but never let your guard down....

Spot on. Even if a piece of legislation is unlikely to pass we still must stay involved in the process!

The fact that things like this even see the light of day to be introduced should be maddening.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
They are in our corner.

Or so we hope... I don't trust any politician based on the words.

The flip side of the coin we need to watch is if Trump is not re-elected after his first term. It's a pretty safe bet people not in our corner will be appointed. That would be bad especially is things also flip in the house and Senate. Pendulums swing back and forth.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I swear, these same fucktards that oppose trapping are the same ones marching to support partial birth abortions where they can rip a baby apart in the womb nearly right up to the due date. sorry for ranting