Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Refinished a gun

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
As the title says i refinished a gun of my dads. Long story short we were butchering last week and his .22 wouldnt fire a shot at all. I asked when the last time he cleaned it and he told me that to his knowledge that it never has been cleaned. Here it is when i took it home
I had my work cut out for me that was for sure. Since this was something that i had never even tried before i was a little nervous. I tore the gun down amd soaked all the trigger mechanism in cleaner over night. On Sunday i took steel wool to everything and stripped it all down. Then i proceded to reblued all of the metal on the whole gun. Tonight i sanded the stock down and refinished all that fun stuff. Here is the final product.
It may not be the best job in the world bit i am damn happy with how it turned out and im sure dad will be too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How tough was the bluing job? I've always wondered if it was difficult. Looks good Nathan.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
How tough was the bluing job? I've always wondered if it was difficult. Looks good Nathan.
The blueing process really wasn't that difficult but it was time consuming. The hardest part of the entire process was stripping all the rust out of the metal. I started with 220 grit sand paper and went to town. I then re sanded everything with a #3 steel wool. I then resanded with a 000 steel wool. Next i wiped everything down with denatured alcohol. I then wiped the blue agent on. I used super blue gun blue.
let the liquid on the metal for 30 seconds and wipe off with cold water. Buff with the 000 steel wool wipe with alcohol and blue agent again until thw desired darkness.