Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

PD AR rifles

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 2 AR PD shooting rifles.
Top is a 223 with Colt lower and a custom heavy SS barrel. Shoots 1/2" 5 shoot groups at 100 yrs. Wears a Leupold 6.5X20 scope.
Funny story my best friend custom turned and chambered the barrel from a blank. But the bottom pin between the upper and lower was a littlr loose. He said I can fix that just come back. I went back and he drilled both holes out and installed a 1/4 bolt. Looks like hell but it's tight and shoots great.

Bottom rifle is in 223AI-Ackley Improved which gives a true 300 FPS increase above a normal 223 round. It has mid range 22-250 FPS. It shoots better than the above 223 AR. It wears a 4.5x14 Leupold with mil dots. If I use it again I will change it out with a 6x24 Burris. I like adjustable high power quality scopes.
My friend and follow PD shooting partner built this one also to from a SS barrel blank. When built the AR ban was on and couldn't have a muzzle break and pistol grip so only has the pistol grip.
We started out with a plain smooth sided upper. Milled a slot back and D&T's the front of the bolt for a side mounted charging handle. The bolt and handle are off right now. I probably will use this upper and bolt on my 300 BO pistol I'm building so it will have a side mounted charging handle on the bolt. Actually it'll have the side mounted bolt charging handle and the AR charging handle.

Both rifles have 2 stage match triggers. We chambered both rifles with a short leade for 55 gr bullets. The bullets start out seated shorter and as the barrel leade wears the bullet is seated further out to maintain higher accraucy. Also both rifles have been frozen to maintain good rifling wear.

Sad to say Ron my friend who built both of these rifles passed away 7 yrs ago and we no longer have a great friend but a master gunsmith. He had also built several AR 15's and AR 10's for my son and nephew.

Last edited: