Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gander Mountain

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I all but quit going to sporting goods stores. They haven't come to grips with the fact that you can't price gouge your customers in today's times. If I can order a product on my phone that shows up at my house two days later for 20% cheaper than in your store then something is wrong with your model.

Best buy went through this struggle and almost went bankrupt themselves. At first they wouldn't even price match Amazon, then they started to, now you would be hard pressed to find a product on their shelf that isn't very closely priced. And by very closely I mean within a dollar.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was just in Gander yesterday afternoon and they had a 20.00 off coupon ( for online and in store) for any purchase over 100.00

I typically go there maybe once a year since I retired as it's a 45 minute drive, the wife wanted to hit a few stores as well so we made an afternoon of it with dinner afterwards....

I use Amsoil 2 Stoke Synthetic and hey had 3 gallons left.... Had.....

If I order from the local dealer here in town I have to pay the hazmat shipping fee which pushes he price above Ganders stock price....

That doesn't happen too often with Gander.... Their gun prices have always been high and I can go to a local gun shop and get better pricing and more knowledgeable sales folks....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Joe nailed it. If your business model isn't flexible enough to change as the consumer buying patterns change then that model is going to fail. It's really that simple. Unless you can demonstrate some additional value you provide the consumer from coming into your store it will always come down to price.

Case in point, I stopped at Dodd camera yesterday to see if they had a lens in stock I've been thinking about buying. It was my first time there. They had it, and it was competitively priced with what I could pay online. I bought it at the store and picked up a few other items while I was there. Now that store will have my business because they also had great service and the guy that helped me knew what he was talking about. That's added value for me to return and spend my money... as long as they're competitively priced. It doesn't have to be cheaper than online, just match or be really close and that's where I'll spend my money.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We've got one in Canton and one in Niles, the Niles store is new and improved lol.... They moved the entire store (for a year) rebuilt the original store combining two buildings into one, then moved the store back into it.... Moving all the merchandise (twice) couldn't have been cheap....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Story sounds similar to MC Sporting Goods. Currently going thru bankruptcy and liquidating. I'm not sure if they will remain open for business or not. I sort of doubt it. You cannot be 20% higher and survive.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I shopped Gander back 35-40 yrs ago mail order when there was a lot less available. Never been to a store.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Story sounds similar to MC Sporting Goods. Currently going thru bankruptcy and liquidating. I'm not sure if they will remain open for business or not. I sort of doubt it. You cannot be 20% higher and survive.
I'm sure Dunhams isn't far behind Mc sports and Gander. Their prices are lunacy. You have to use a 20% off coupon from your email just to get it down to retail price at gander. And it can only be used on 1 item and not on sale items.

The thing about these stores is their margins are nuts. I once knew a guy who ran a camera company who was trying to get them in the big box stores. They wanted 75% off retail to carry it. Think about that. The retailer is making 300% markup while the company who makes it is left with having to manufacture and make profit from 25% it's no wonder that most hunting stuff made today is way overpriced junk. I've seen bow sights from China that came off the same line as truglow and trophy Ridge for 4-5 dollars per unit. And that includes China man's markup. Rage BHs for a dollar a unit. Yet rage and the big box charge 12 bucks each. Selling out to China is one thing. Screwing your customers is something different.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Watching the brick 'n' mortar growth of this industry segment has blown my mind recently.
Gotta be unsustainable.
From My house I can reach Gander Mtn in Huber Heights, Cabelas in Centerville, Field and Stream at Austin Landing, Cabelas in Liberty Twp, and Bass Pro, Bass Pro being the farthest at 40 minutes. Insane.
And Gander is no loss at all, don't even go there anymore, prices are ridiculous and the selection is nothing. Used to kind of like them, but they've tanked in the last few years.

I just hope Cabela's continues to be cool. Really hoping.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Watching the brick 'n' mortar growth of this industry segment has blown my mind recently.
Gotta be unsustainable.
From My house I can reach Gander Mtn in Huber Heights, Cabelas in Centerville, Field and Stream at Austin Landing, Cabelas in Liberty Twp, and Bass Pro, Bass Pro being the farthest at 40 minutes. Insane.
And Gander is no loss at all, don't even go there anymore, prices are ridiculous and the selection is nothing. Used to kind of like them, but they've tanked in the last few years.

I just hope Cabela's continues to be cool. Really hoping.

...and throw in Dick's at the malls for good measure:smiley_chinrub:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Joe nailed it. If your business model isn't flexible enough to change as the consumer buying patterns change then that model is going to fail. It's really that simple. Unless you can demonstrate some additional value you provide the consumer from coming into your store it will always come down to price.

Case in point, I stopped at Dodd camera yesterday to see if they had a lens in stock I've been thinking about buying. It was my first time there. They had it, and it was competitively priced with what I could pay online. I bought it at the store and picked up a few other items while I was there. Now that store will have my business because they also had great service and the guy that helped me knew what he was talking about. That's added value for me to return and spend my money... as long as they're competitively priced. It doesn't have to be cheaper than online, just match or be really close and that's where I'll spend my money.

This is how I buy as well.

OO2

In the Uplands
They changed our gander from a multi-outdoor store to just a gun store and then changed it back almost 6 months later I think. Didn't make much sense to me