Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Hunting License Requirements

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Am I reading this right or am I just being hopeful?

Braydon just completed his 3rd year as an Ohio Apprentice Hunter. The Ohio Regs. say he must now complete a hunter safety course. It reads it can be completed in ANY State. Washington and Georgia do it on line. There is another "Universal Course" offered that several states honor as well. Why would we not be able to complete one of these courses and continue on? We are not just trying to buck the system....Getting Braydon to a course with his family schedule is not looking good at all. Whatcha Think?

OK...Guess in Washington you must complete a field skills to go with it....so that option may be out.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
New Jersey also has a home course but on top of that you must also complete a one day hands on field session. Im sure alot of states are going this route... Good Luck with Braydon...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just signed Karissa up to go to the nearest one I could find which was nearly booked. We had to go next door in Butler county and while I hadn't planned on taking it with her I decided to since I was there and they had an opening. It is tough fitting it into our conflicting schedules but I just made it happen I guess. We were both glad to get it done and behind us so we know longer had to worry about it anymore. I highly recommend doing it with the instruction and the hands on class. It was from 6pm to 10pm that evening and the men that put it together did a great job!:smiley_clap:

It was super crazy how many classes were booked across this state! It's hard to worry about hunter recruitment when I saw that!

Last edited:
I know PA has now gone to online classes but they are for adult only. From what I have heard though the online course is more difficult than the class course at least in PA. I have the youngest daughter signed up in PA for the end of the month. PA is a 1 day class and they even have some on Sundays. Thankfully this will be the last year for apprentice hunting for our family.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Garrett took it last year. Fitting it in was tough. There were one day classes available but they were 10-12hr classes. I felt he would do better in a 2 day course. We had to drive an hour to the course but it was worth it. He and I reviewed the first day stuff on the way home and on the way to class the next day. 10-12hrs for a 10-13yr old kid is pretty intense.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just signed Karissa up to go to the nearest one I could find which was nearly booked. We had to go next door in Butler county and while I hadn't planned on taking it with her I decided to since I was there and they had an opening. It is tough fitting it into our conflicting schedules but I just made it happen I guess. We were both glad to get it done and behind us so we know longer had to worry about it anymore. I highly recommend doing it with the instruction and the hands on class. It was from 6pm to 10pm that evening and the men that put it together did a great job!:smiley_clap:

It was super crazy how many classes were booked across this state! It's hard to worry about hunter recruitment when I saw that!

Where did you take it in Butler County. You sneaked into the County and didn't let me know?
Our gunclub does 1-3 per year. But it gets tougher each year as the instructors are getting older and almost no new young instructors are filling the spots.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Where did you take it in Butler County. You sneaked into the County and didn't let me know?
Our gunclub does 1-3 per year. But it gets tougher each year as the instructors are getting older and almost no new young instructors are filling the spots.

Right there in Millville at the sportmans club Frank. It was last April or May! Great group of guys ran it! My daughter got a 97% and I got a 96%. :smiley_baby:

Very proud of how she went about preparing for it! She completed the entire downloaded course I printed out for her and we went through the class modules they had set up together.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Right there in Millville at the sportmans club Frank. It was last April or May! Great group of guys ran it! My daughter got a 97% and I got a 96%. :smiley_baby:

Very proud of how she went about preparing for it! She completed the entire downloaded course I printed out for her and we went through the class modules they had set up together.

Way to go. I'm past President, Vice President, Trustee, Membership Sec, and acting Treasure of that gunclub. Butler County Sportsman Gunclub. Nice club with indoor 50' range and closed membership of 800. Over 2 yr waiting list for new members.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Our hunter education system is another model that needs to change. Just like the Gander Mountain thread, the current model is outdated and needs revised. The way we do things now actually places more barriers to entry in front of new hunters. It's an access issue. Why not unlimited apprentice licenses? For youth, they have to hunt with an adult anyway until they reach a certain age. After 3 apprentice licenses, why not just let the hunter test out for the final exam? If they pass, great! If they fail then they can sit through a course. Today's schedules are so busy 1. trying to find a course that 2. is near by and 3. doesn't conflict with parents working or kids extra curricular activities is very difficult.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Should be able to get them a license and still hunt instead of a 3 year cut off. Braydon can't hunt without me anyhow, might as well pay full price for tags and continue the apprenticeship.

Bigcountry40

I never took a hunter safety course but for some reason was able to get a license as a juvenile, at age 23 or 24 I was investigated by the Erie County ODNR official (till this day I have no idea why) and one of the first things he brought up is that I didn't have a hunter safety course. I was basically nomad at the time in my life playing in the AFL etc, so I took an Indiana online course and used a family friends address. No field day have the certificate I printed it off the internet.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When looking for courses in your area, look for a HOME STUDY course. The kid has to study and answer the questions in the booklet at home... Then show up for ONE night, usually only 4 hours, for a review and an official test. It's really easy and convenient for people with busy schedules.

I've been told that soon, maybe as soon as this summer, there will be an online course available for adults. Kids will still have to show up to a course in person. The entire course curriculum is being revamped as I type this.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When looking for courses in your area, look for a HOME STUDY course. The kid has to study and answer the questions in the booklet at home... Then show up for ONE night, usually only 4 hours, for a review and an official test. It's really easy and convenient for people with busy schedules.

I've been told that soon, maybe as soon as this summer, there will be an online course available for adults. Kids will still have to show up to a course in person. The entire course curriculum is being revamped as I type this.

This is what we did.