Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's in your vest?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I carry a slate pot, aluminum pot, and 3 strikers. I also carry a rough pad to condition my slate. As far as mouth calls I carry 4-5, I don't use mouth calls much, mostly because I'm not good at using them. My thermacell is a must, along with an extra butane cartridge and pad. As far as locating calls I have an owl hooter and a crow call, but don't use them much either. My slate is my go to call. I'll add more later if I think of anything.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Didn't we have one of these threads last year?

How'd that thigh rig work out? Or is that what you are calling the vest?
Idk, I can't remember what I ate yesterday lol. The thigh rig worked good. I figured the title "what's in your thigh rig" wouldn't quite fit lol.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
A few glass, a few slate, about 15 strikers, couple box calls, couple fighting purrs, some ez yelper, about 10 mouth calls, extra gloves, extra facenet, some shells, some sandpaper and chalk, some butterscotch candy, ink pen and paper, and a bunch of dried turkey blood and feathers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A slate and striker. Some mouth calls. One box call. Extra shells. A video camera.

I use the video camera and a $10-15 push box. It works. The rest of them are just in there to make noise when I walk around. I laugh when I look at $50-100 calls. There is something for everyone I guess. Those just aren't for me. That said: I don't have a history of knocking down turkeys either. It is coming. Won't happen until we start to see more turkeys in the area though. I know just enough to keep going out there and coming home frustrated. lol

Fletch

Supporting Member
I dont wear a vest ,instead I have a small fanny pack. It usually has: 2 or 3 slate calls with an assortment of strikers,couple different diaphrams,Lynch box call,Red Wolfe gobble call,sand paper,bottle of water and most imprtantly: small bottle of advil and toilet paper that early in the morning mother nature usually calls....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
A slate and striker. Some mouth calls. One box call. Extra shells. A video camera.

I use the video camera and a $10-15 push box. It works. The rest of them are just in there to make noise when I walk around. I laugh when I look at $50-100 calls. There is something for everyone I guess. Those just aren't for me. That said: I don't have a history of knocking down turkeys either. It is coming. Won't happen until we start to see more turkeys in the area though. I know just enough to keep going out there and coming home frustrated. lol
You get what you pay for in a good pot or box call, Phil. I've ran a couple cheap ass slate calls that my buddies have and they sound like shit.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Says the guy who just poops himself. The rest of us in the civilized world seem to make the toilet paper industry thrive.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nothing as my grandsons borrowed my vest couple years ago and didn't bring it back.
I just throw everything in a small day backpack and walk out to back of the farm. Or shoot them in the yard when passing through.
Went down Wednesday to pull my card on the cam I put on the cow carcass and kicked up about 40 turkeys.