Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jlanes 2017 food plots

jlane

dunn nc
KIMG1440.jpgKIMG1436.jpgstarted getting plots started, got this one disc, limed ,fertilized and frost seeded with clover and chicory, 1/2 acre plot done with only four wheeler and disc, got a couple more to get done, going to plant clover turnips radish, and rye with scattered corn for cover on the next two as they are one acre and three acres, will keep pics coming as the year goes forward.

jlane

dunn nc
KIMG1452.jpg
For you guys that have small plots this actuilly works.
Not endorsing any products but i'm really amazed at how this will completly tear the ground up in short time.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
I take it those are in North Carolina???? Looking good.. I had groundhog radishs planted in two plots out in Illinois last year and the deer weren't touching them through season.. Went out 3 weeks ago to shed hunt and do some work and every radish was pulled out and gone... So they must be similar to turnips and the deer wont hit them till after heavy frosts..

jlane

dunn nc
EK000526.jpgTHUMB_100EK113-EK000389.JPGEK000091.jpgTHUMB_101EK113-EK000220.JPG

Fletch, this is in ohio.
Groundhog radish, turnips, rape, and over seeded with rye in mid sept.
I know most people frown on radish and turnips, but they absolutly wore them out before it frosted. slacked off when acorns started falling, then completely killed the plot. only thing that's left is the rye, only because they couldn't eat it faster than it grew, it's still only about 3'' tall.
look at the dates on pics.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looks good.. I hunted near one of the radish plots and found myself pulling out a few for a snack they were good had some kick to
them...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That pic with the bucks and barrel really outs it in perspective how relatively small deer really are. Because of their proportions, we tend to think they're much taller than they are.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've planted radish and turnips for 4 years. The 1st yr .5 ac was almost no activity. The 2nd yr .5 ac the tops were all eaten and a few bulbs eaten. The 3 year it was a clean field with everything eaten and that was a full 1.5 ac as I lost my 1 ac of oats due to draught. The 4th yr was .5 ac and all tops and a lot of bulbs eaten but had 1 ac of oats to keep a head of the deer pressure.

I have planted radish the last 2 years in central OH with a pretty thick deer density and they absolutely destroy them every year. They won't even let them grow bulbs because they rip the tops off so fast. Our spot is unique in that there isn't any ag within 1.5 miles, so I guess they hit it hard cause they ain't got no choice. In any case, they are so easy to grow and the deer like them, so I will plant them every year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Amazes me how deer utilize the same food sources differently throughout our region. I've planted radish plots that were worthy of magazine covers and the deer never touched them. In 8 seasons of planting tubers, I can't say the deer on our farm have ever eaten them to the degree we'd hope for.

I really think the deer hammer ours because of the lack of crops in the immediate area. Most of the deer that do come around bed/hang pretty close and there isn't much in the way of easy food for them. They have devoured everything I have put down from clover to radish to rye. Pretty unique situation we have for Ohio, although I still haven't managed to stick a good buck hunting over the plots yet. :smiley_boos:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I really think the deer hammer ours because of the lack of crops in the immediate area. Most of the deer that do come around bed/hang pretty close and there isn't much in the way of easy food for them. They have devoured everything I have put down from clover to radish to rye. Pretty unique situation we have for Ohio, although I still haven't managed to stick a good buck hunting over the plots yet. :smiley_boos:

I took me 4 growing seasons before I shot a buck out of my food plots. For 3 seasons the bucks just walked through the plots looking for does. Sure isn't like you see on the TV hunting programs. LOL

I took me 4 growing seasons before I shot a buck out of my food plots. For 3 seasons the bucks just walked through the plots looking for does. Sure isn't like you see on the TV hunting programs. LOL

Yeah, same here. I'm hoping to get one in year 3. My wife did stick a nice one last year that we never recovered, so it hasn't been a total buck bust. But there is WAY more action in the food plot fields than there used to be when it was just brush hogged, which is a pay off in itself. These days I think I look forward to summer time watching the plots grow (almost)as much as I do hunting season.